Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4 upgrade past views

Born2Run

K1.4 Supersport factory built 1993

I am quite happy with the level of performance in general but like things to run as well as the can. Is there any benefit in the following items and is there any experience of the effects experienced with this engine. It just feels a bit sluggish to respond.

1. Fitting vernier cam pulleys and getting timing spot on

2. Fitting lightened fly wheel, to improve response.

3. Installing different exhaust mainfold and can, which is a known good variant to choose.

Interested in the thoughts and experiences with the 1.4 please

All of them are worth doing!

The difference vernier pulleys will make will depend how 'out' the standard pulleys are in the first place.  Usually the standard pulleys are nowhere near optimal.  When I fitted them to my 1.4, the big step at 4k revs was elimated and the engine became much more linear.  Have a look at Dave Andrews K series page on this. 

I found the lightened flywheel a good upgrade.  I don't know what current availability is, I know I bought the last two from Caterham when I did the upgrade, probably 10 years ago. I presume other supplies make them now.  

What exhaust have you got a the moment? You could fit a 4-1 race exhaust or a 4-2-1 manifold. Both will give benefit over the standard one.  

Thanks TomB I thought that might be the case. 

Mine is similar in that it feels like it is working hard to keep up until 4.5k then off she goes nicely. I guess what I am seeking is a bit more mid range pick up.

I saw Dave Andrews page and it is very good. I am just looking to see what the "those who have done it" feel to gage whether it is worth the investment.

The exhaust is the standard Caterham unit so it is quite a tight turn manifold. Powerspeed seem to have a good system but expensive at 1k plus.

If you can find a Caterham 4-1 race system that would be a good upgrade.  Its best for top end power, whereas the Caterham 4-2-1 apparently gives better mid range.  My car is an ex race car of 1996 vintage, and came with the 4-1 system which I still run on my 1.8 K series. Take care if trying to assemble exhaust systems piecemeal as the come up second hand on, as most of the consistent parts are not cross compatible with different systems.  If you got to Powerspeed or similar you'll able to to get a whole system made up and not have to worry about compatibly.  Youll need to take the brave pill though and cut a bigger hole in the side skin!    

The verniers will likely get rid of the big step at ~4k revs, meaning it much more linear.  You might miss the 'take off' as the engine comes on cam, but I think its better to have more linear response.  

What age is your car/ engine?  On my older one, you could fit a bigger 52mm throttle body rather than a 48mm which in theory improves things a bit.  

Mine is 1993 engine and car, as built by Caterham, no mods. I have not measured the TB to see what size opening it has. It all looks nicely lined up with the supersport manifold so I took that side was as good as it could sensibly be. It is forward pointing so I guess has a bit of ram air effect when moving.

I have a 4-1 cat, silencer and back box off my previous 1.8K SLR in the loft. No manifold though. To be honest I was thinking of selling it to fund some my thoughts on this little project. I did not make the change on the last car so have no comparison of before and after. Frankly it was just ridiculously quick at any point on the scale.

Interesting John. I came from a 6 to a 5 and understand what you are saying. Initially I could not get my brain around why 1 was so low and 5 so high but then after a couple of years got used to it. If I want to get a bit of a squirt on 2-3-4 are all that are used. 5 is quite a nice long distance gear. In the end I have found I am quite happy with it but I can quite see your point. I conclude that it is how you wish to srive that affects the 5 v 6.

I found the gearing really inhibited my enjoyment until I installed a 160 VVC . 1 st was comically low , but I could do nearly 70 in second and whilst fifth was indeed cruisetastic I needed to change down on every slight incline . Remember the six speed was invented specifically for the power characteristics of the 1.4; God knows what the standard 105bhp 1.4 felt like with the 5 speed- I remember Autocar raving about he car but ruing its gearing even back in 93  .

New six speed pricey - I think BGH(?)would do you a better set of ratios to complement more power. It'd be an investment (man maths at work ) 

• Area Representative

Hi there,

My 1.4 SS was upgraded last summer with a DVA ported head, Jenveys/Emerald combo & 4-2-1 SL-R exhaust - Dave also fitted Piper verniers at that time.

Of course this has transformed the car - pulls close to 80 in 2nd now!

Before this conversion, the car shunted in low gear/light throttle like it was going out of fashion, however now it doesn't at all - even when I try and provoke it to! Was this completely down to the cam timing? Difficult to say, but I helped Dave with the conversion (as in watching & passing tools etc) and I certainly remember him showing me just how badly timed my cams were! From what I remember the SS inlet cam should be 60 (thou?), mine were 36 & exhaust cam should be 65 - mine was 110, so totally out!

Like others have said, the power delivery is much more linear now, but the engine is running as it should be which has got to be a good thing. Shame on Caterham for not including verniers as part of the SS conversion IMHO... but there you go.

Dave (DVA) know his stuff and will help you out, but I know he is very much in demand!

Light flywheel - I have a new one still to be fitted,, but will wait until I go 1.8...

If you are ever in Berks, you are welcome to come and have a look at my conversion...

The TB on an EU2 and EU3 is 48mm which is large enough, a 52mm does little if anything to increase power or torque, the main improvement is to throttle response. This can be simulated by modifying the 48mm TB , removal of the softening wedge on the ally TB or reshaping of the softening wedge on the plastic TB will give 98% of the improvement at minimal cost. The ECU will handle any change.

Don't waste your money buying a 52mm TB on a 1400.

Oily

Thanks Nick, that is an interesting read to me. That is a complete package which I would love to copy. I suspect the funds required may well limit what I can do (any chance of an indication of cost via mail, I won't tell Mrs Nick honest).

I have not yet checked to see if the head is too early to bother with as per DVA website. From your description I would think I could get quite a lot of improvement from verniers/pins and exhaust change.

May take you up on the offer to have a look at some stage, I am in Bristol area so its not that far on a sunny day.

• Area Representative

Hi Born2Run,

I will PM you later this week with details

It is quite easy to check your cylinder head - mine was 68 LDF which is an early high port head. Casting number is on the inlet side - again instructions on DVA website.

I've sold my head but have another high port head that I can sell you if you're interested? It's currently on an Elise engine I need to strip down.

Cheers

Nick