Click here if you are having website access problems ×

86 de dion rear brake line routing help!

paul_w

hello -  putting my Dad's  early HPC back together and I have a feeling that Arch my have left a bracket off when they re-did the back end, because I can't see anywhere for the flexi brake line from the De Dion tube to attach to the chassis. I've got it pointing upwards from the T-piece and can't see where it would attach - does anyone with an older car remember where it goes onto the chassis at the back of the tunnel? I've still got to make up the hard lines running to the front of the car, and obviously can't do that until the flexi is in place :-/

Any pointers greatly appreciated, I'm back down South tomorrow and wanted to take my flaring tool back with me :-D

Cheers

Paul

Have you got an Assembly Guide?

The modern version reads:

9 The rear braided hose can now be fitted. Thread the locknut onto the male union on one end of the hose then attach the braided hose to the three way union on the De Dion tube and tighten to 10 Nm. Lock into place using the locknut. The locknut supplied should not restrict the union from tightening fully.

10 Place a plain washer over the male union on the other end of the braided hose then pass the union forwards through the vertical aluminium panel, apply a further plain washer then the shakeproof washer and secure in place with the locknut provided. Finally, attach the rigid brake pipe from the transmission tunnel.

NOTES

(1) The rigid brake pipe may need slight realignment. 

Jonathan

PS: If I were building mine again I'd use flexible rather than rigid pipe to the rear callipers.

Cheers Jonathan. I've got an assembly guide that should be contemporary to the car which mentions a bracket, but Arch put a later type fuel tank mounting (which has caused headaches) so I'm guessing they might have done the rest of it 'the modern way'! I'm not sure which ali panel it would go through mind you, as that would simply take it into the passenger compartment :-/

This doesn't have calipers, it's a drum brake one, so the pipes don't need to accommodate any movement.

I'll have another look, and if I can't suss it I'll make my own mounting.

Hmm, a bit of google image search seems to show what I think is the bracket that's referred to, which definitely isn't there, so I'll have to fab something suitable. Grrr...

http://www.mycaterham.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_39305/DIR_115119/rust_1.jpg

Paul, without looking at my can I'm not certain, but, I think it may go through a bit of ally that acts as a ledge for the boot floor to sit on this is riveted across the rear bulkhead, it is on the vertically bent down part, not visible inside the boot until you remove the boot floor panel,the brake line then goes up the tunnel to the union with the brake light switch. 

The rusty one isn't ours no, though it was worse than this before its trip to Arch!

That ally ledge isn't there on the earlier cars, so I'm making a bracket that will bolt on to the diff mounts to save welding to the newly coated chassis. Frustrating as I only get a weekend every couple of months to work on the car, and between the fuel tank and the brake line that was a whole day wasted on jobs that should have taken no time at all, and both due to Arch not restoring the chassis the same way it was brought to them.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Brian - I won't be able to work on it again for a few weeks but I have since seen a similar age car at S&C that had a right angle bracket on the bulkhead with the hard brake line looping across to it, so maybe that's what it had rather than on the chassis as in other pics I've seen. I will either make a similar one or finish the one I started that bolts to the diff mount (might be a little less flexible!)

Cheers

Paul