Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Race car rebuild photo diary

CharlesElliott

As some of you know, I have had to rebuild my race car from both a chassis and engine perspective. The chassis had had a 6mm twist in the front for a few years, and I had a large rear end accident in qualifying at Donington so decided to refurbish the whole thing and get it painted after 11 years with bare aluminum panels.

The engine also lost its oil at Donington so needed to be stripped down and inspected for oil damage. As it turned out, there was no oil damage but quite a lot of other problems!

The rebuild involves a few things you don't normally have to do, like fitting the loom, brake pipes and extinguisher plumbing. On top of that, I modify a few things so the car is easier to maintain as a race car.

Caterham rebuild 2015

Charles

We like pictures. And questions.

Are you going to run the rebuilt engine with the heater bypass hose removed and the stat and coolant rail takeoffs blanked again? Any advantage or disadvantage to doing this?

Do all the racers go for the full-house 1300 series prop from Bailey and Morris, with all the bells and whistles? I can't wait to get mine through the post. Love the "prop-bot" outside the front!

Is the revised gearbox mount to allow for the Mazda box fitment? Or different positioning of a K-series/Type 9? Or some other reasons?

Hi Mankee

Questions are good, will answer those on this thread. 

I'm not sure what the gearbox plate allows - as this is an imperial chassis there would be no need to accommodate the Mazda box.

Yes, I will run with no thermostat and no bypass hose. Usual for racers to avoid the slim chance of the thermostat sticking closed. 

On the propshaft I was just getting the propshaft supplied with the car refurbished. Two new UJs (which they said were pretty good anyway) and a rebalance. As Bailey Morris and Titan are just a few miles from Arch is was easy to drop them off  

Charles

Cheers, Charles!

I no longer have a stat in the standard position, but didn't think to completely remove the bypass hose. Does air ever get trapped in the coolant rail takeoff when refilling the cooling system? Or is this not a problem once the water pump is churning everythig around?

Good work Charles, it's very satisfying building a 7 completely from scratch. The rivnuts is a good idea but I only use 12 in total and wonder sometimes if that is even too many. A removable scuttle makes it much easier for working on the electrics etc....

• 1 month later...