Click here if you are having website access problems ×

One for the Easimap experts....Mr Aerobod, perhaps?

John Vine

Following my earlier thread, and inspired by the technical guidance on offer here (notably from Aerobod), I've been playing with Easimap.  (Note that my R400D doesn't have a problem at the moment -- I simply wanted to establish a base "good" position for use should problems arise in the future.)

So far, I've used an Easimap "page" supplied by Tomiam.  This worked well, especially for things like lambda-sensor performance.  I recorded a log (with the car stationary), starting from cold and ending with a short spell at 2000+ rpm.  Is there an Easimap expert out there who could possibly cast an eye over the plots for me?  If so, please send me a message plus email address.

I would also like to build my own page(s).  Perhaps the same expert could  advise which of the following parameters (and sub-parameters) I should include?

Easimappagepanels.jpg.cc76cb7bfe869b0d80035a6c356ad0b3.jpg

Many thanks,

JV

Great idea that had also have a library of sensors and default values we should expect from them would be really handy. (for example no point measuring Oil Temp as there is no sensor for it so ignore it )

From my experience I tend to create panels for things I am trying monitor (general environment vs basic engine sensors) then when trying to diagnose a problem create a more focused panel with the more detailed variables 

...a library of sensors and default values...

If you mean it would be handy to have a list of the sensors CC fit as standard, together with their values/ranges (such as a TPS voltage range), I agree!

Last time I was speaking to CC (about whether my R400D had a MAP sensor or not), I suggested much the same thing.  I think the time has come for me to ask them again.  I'll post their response.

JV

JV

The opening window display contents rather depend on what you want to achieve.  I have the following on mine, which includes gear selection as I have a sensor on my type 9 box for traction control. I can see what's going on with these.

Engine speed, digital and analogue
   ditto throttle site
TPS voltage (mV)
Injector duty cycle
Battery voltage
Air temp
Coolant temp
Ignition Advance
Lambda
Target lambda
Gear selected
Gear selection voltage
Wheel speed (undriven)
Wheel speed (driven - calculated)

you could add baro and MAP sensors if you have them.

You'll also need the four map icons, Basic fuel map, Ignition map,, Engine settings and Throttle index, although the last two won't be of much interest once it's all set up.

If you try and display, and log, too many parameters it gets a bit difficult to see what's going on.  It's easy enough to add and delete windows from either the home page or additional pages when you need them.

Not sure the above is much help but good luck with it anyway.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.  That's very useful.  Given my woeful lack of knowledge at the moment, every little bit helps!

So far, I've added panels for all your items except gear selection and wheel speed.  I've a baro sensor (combined with air temp) so I'll add that, but I don't have a MAP sensor (I have RBs).

Re the four map icons --  I'm unsure at the moment what these do, but am I right that (at least) the first two won't work for me as my ECU is locked? 

JV

Engines settings shows what you'd expect, mainly crank timing and offset info, and Throttle index is the curve relating TPS voltage (angle) to load site.

typical ignition and fuelling curves look like:

http://www.fastgrandad.co.uk/pictures/ignition.jpg

and

http://www.fastgrandad.co.uk/pictures/fuelling.jpg

Hi John,

Paul's list is a pretty good one, I would add:

Final injection time

Coolant, air temp, manifold and baro fuel factors / compensation percentages

Lambda status

Typically between 20 and 30 parameters should be able to be logged at the same time. You will only be able to show map and other tunable parameters with an unlocked ECU (such as the 9A4). The standard ECUs (such as the 992) are encrypted, so output values can be displayed but ECU settings can't be changed or displayed.

A couple of other things to bear in mind are that if you have multiple pages open, switching page will lose any logged data to that point if you haven't saved it to a file, avoid ground loops that could cause damage to the electronics by making sure your laptop is only connected to the USB cable and not to power via an inverter or 12V socket.

- James.

Hi John,

Was your 9A4 ECU supplied by Caterham, or by an MBE supplier such as SBD? If from Caterham, it is definitely locked and won't accept unlock codes (seems to be directly flash updated by some proprietary method, as opposed to by Easimap). If supplied by someone other than Caterham as an aftermarket ECU, then it should accept unlock codes, I would go back to the supplier / tuner if that is the case to get the code. You can also change the access level within Easimap, if you haven't already found this feature - in the bottom right of the screen if it says "Profile: Basic Level 1", click on the text and select "Advanced Level 1", this will give you a wider range of access.

- James.

In which case your ECU is almost certainly encrypted and it's not just a case of having a PIN.  Apart from CC there are only a few 'authorised' tuners who can map these units, including the two Steves at Track N' Road.  Apparently the mapping can be improved quite significantly over the factory issue which is, perhaps understandably, not optimised for performance but more on reliability.

As the old joke goes, the mapping is 'rich and retarded', like a lot of 7 owners!

If you really want to get at it, you could try asking whether MBE would reprogram it for you with 'open code so that you can load and edit your own maps.  No doubt someone on here would have good base maps to work from if you didn't want to go for an all out mapping session.  Alternatively, buy a new 9A4 and flog the old one.

Paul

...avoid ground loops that could cause damage to the electronics by making sure your laptop is only connected to the USB cable and not to power via an inverter or 12V socket.

Would it be worth adding an isolator to protect everything, especially if you're moving it between computers and vehicles?

Jonathan

I only ever run the laptop on battery power when data logging in the car. In the hostile automotive electrical environment you will always see tens of milliamps of stray ground voltage which you want to avoid being fed through the USB connection. An isolator may prevent this but may not be sensitive enough to prevent damage to standard computer logic circuits.

Thanks, Paul.  The Two Steves remapped my ECU about four years ago (it had plenum induction then) and they transformed the driveability.  When CC fitted my RBs, they also remapped the ECU, so I'm back to using a possibly less than ideal map. Mind you, the car is a joy to drive the way it is -- blistering performance plus good road manners -- so the need for another T 'n' R makeover isn't urgent right now.

JV