Click here if you are having website access problems ×

k series overheat

gavingraysonr300

Thanks for advise i am going to drill the thermostat but i have no heater what do you think about me making this temporary bleed tee that i explained  in my post. Taking the bypass hose off the rail putting a temporary tee piece in and a piece of hose to the rail then fill slowly once im full put thumbs over ends of rail and hose then quickly reconnect. I know its probably just as easy to leave a tee piece in but dont plan on draining it much after this.

With no heater, yes you just need the bleed tee in the bypass hose that runs from the back of the metal coolant rail round to the thermostat. Position it such that it can be lifter up to be the highest point. There's no need to prop it up as you will use this as the filler, so hold it up with one hand whilst pouring coolant in slowly with a jug in the other.

The heater is one of the favourite places for air to get trapped, so without a heater the process should be even easier.

Ok thanks do you know if i can split the thermostat housing in position or do i have to take the whole thing off and replace o ring ? When it is split into two what seals it back up is it a rubber on the thermostat or is it another o ring. The only reason why im asking if i can do it in position it was a real pig to get the bypass hose on as pipe for dry sump is right next to it and roller barrells. 

Hi i took delivery today of my new thermostat which has already been drilled with a pin through it. Have they started drilling them now and do i just need to break out the pin ? Ive sent a picture thanks.

file:///Users/gavgrayson/Desktop/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2016/01/20/20160120-195646/fbAeSMNdQbmBZWnd869O7A/thumb_IMG_1049_1024.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone who gave me advise on my overheating after changing my water pump and hoses. I drilled the stat put it back together and it still overheated so stat not opening still. Jacked up the front end still nothing looking at the stat hosing decided to jack the back end up and really masarged big pipe coming off the stat housing got some bubbles and is running back as normal now great. Im just a bit worried about all the overheating will it have damaged the engine did turn it off as soon as it started but i know the k engine dosnt like overheating. What will be the tell tale signs and would it be straight away if there was damage it is running fine but only had short runs so far.

Glad to hear it is working again.

Hopefully if it didn't get too hot and you didn't let it carry on running like that for any length of time it will be fine. The metal alloy used for the block and head is quite soft as cast, but is then heat treated to leave it in a much harder state. This heat treatment is however reversible and the hotter it gets, the faster it anneals back to its soft state. So extended periods at excessive temperatures will leave the metal soft and the steel liners can then either sink into their seats in the block or bite into the head. The usual sign will be a head gasket failure and either sunken liners or an indented head found on stripping it down. I should think in your case though, as you kept an eye on it and shut it down when it started getting hot, you should be OK.