Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec oil level after oil change

Logan Colbeck

Has anyone experienced this? 

I did the first oil change on my Duratec the other day. I drained the oil, and removed the old filter. Then realised that Ford had given me the standard oil filter, which is too long for a vertically held unit. The car stood without oil for 24 hours whilst I sourced the correct filter. I then replaced the correct unit, full of oil, and added the balance to make the required 4.5 litres of 5/50 spec oil and after checking for leaks, ran the engine upto temperature. On checking the level as per the book, could not get a level indication!!

Assuming your oil quantities are correct, the only thing that springs to mind is that, when you insert the dipstick fully (so that the O-ring at the top is fully home), it's possible for the oil sitting in the bottom end of the tube to be pushed out by air pressure so that it doesn't register.  Are you waiting the recommended 30 secs or so for the levels to equalize?  You could try removing and re-inserting the dipstick a few times to see if that helps.

JV 

This is a common problem with Duratecs,not only those in Caterham's.Several people on Ford user type websites report the same thing. I was advised by an engineer that it is not essential to check oil levels with a hot engine. I have always checked mine when cold and have had no problems.

Hope this is useful for you,

j.t.

Many thanks for these comments. I have tried the O ring route, but the result is the same. I then added a further 0.5 litres of oil, as this is the quantity said to represent the difference between top an bottom on the dipstick. I now have a reading about half way up the tell-tale on the dipstick. 

I will run the car out on the next dry day. Meanwhile, I think that the extended drain time may have caused the problem, or at least contributed to it.

But many thanks especially to it from Hampshire. My wife has a Duratec in her Mondeo and I will check that in the morning!

Logan.

• 1 year later...

Digging up a really old thread here but thought I may add a lesson I learnt for anyone else having measuring problems with a wet sump Duratec.

I've found when checking oil (hot or cold), it is best to remove the rubber o-ring from the dipstick, insert dipstick back into tube, wait 30 seconds, pull out to check the level.
I've found this to provide the most consistent reading.

Leaving the o-ring on forces oil out of the dipstick tube giving you a false reading. Just remember to refit the o-ring once you're done measuring!