Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec Oil Temp

Smiffy69

Just been out for a Blat (taking SM25Ts advice on driving it more *hehe* ) and plugged in the easy map and did some logging - Not to find a particular problem just for interest.

The run was for about 30 mins and from a cold start with a mix of road types and a bit of motorway.  Everything looks ok except the the oil temp when sitting idling say at lights or low revs the oil temp was around 80 deg when giving it some effort it would drop down to about 35 deg which seems a bit low.  My original thoughts were that under revs the oil pump is working harder and the pressure is up so the oil would cool more as its flowing around the engine faster  but I would have expected the oil temp to rise over time I was out .  The only heating / cooling would be via a modine so I had expected it to run more consistently at around 80 degs

I'll go for a longer run to see if it just takes longer for the oil to heat up than I expected.

Is this something you would expect to see or do I have a problem ... with the car that is not personally ! *confused* 

Doesn't sound right, giving it beans would increase temps due to increased engine friction and it wouldn't change significantly at idle unless it stood for ages. The values you are giving sound more like pressure in reverse ie should be high on the move, lower at idle

The modine should help to keep temps stable inline with your water temps

Hi Mark,

That's what I thought and it does seem to be the inverse of the pressure - I also would have thought that there would be some thermal inertia to the oil (like the coolant does i.e. it doesn't suddenly change temp )which then makes me think "do I have a faulty Sensor" ?

Does anyone know where the ECU on a Duratec gets the Oil temp reading from ?

cheers 

Ian

Hi JK - yes a modine is a heat exchanger .....

Drama over I have since discovered that the Duratec does not come with an Oil Temp Sender so the readings I have off the easymap logger are not valid.  I  therefore assume this data is not required in the Native CC ECU map.

Ian