Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC rear belt -gear removal

john milner

Yes I've seen pumps with and without. I think the idea is that any water leaking past the seal is caught in there and evaporated away by the heat from the block rather than going into the belt. Just read that thread and yeah I can see the arguments both ways.

If you have the evaporator on your existing pump, there should be a big shoulder bolt going through it, basically an M6 thread on the end that acts as one of the bolts to hold the pump in place then a long pillar that sticks out through the front rubber bush in the evaporator and has a 13mm hex section to allow you to tighten it and is drilled to accept another short bolt that secures the bottom corner of the belt cover.

If you have the evaoprator and rubber bush but just an open hole in the fron of it without the special bolt I would say it was doing absolutely nothing.

And yes .. rotate the crank to align the marks before assembling. You should notice it running better too. Only turn the crank the "short way" to line them up. You can turn it both ways if you overshoot a bit. Don't turn it right around as the cams will not be moving with it so there is a risk of piston / valve contact. With the marks lined up correctly it is in "safe position" so all the pistons are half way up (or down!) the bores and miles away from the valves. Plently of room to wriggle it round into line safely.

Sorry I really should collect all my thoughts before posting and do it in one go ... if you just have a normal bolt buried at the back of the evaporator you should be able to just pull the rubber bit out and remove the buried bolt, then re-use it for the new pump without the evaporator. The only thing that holds the rubber bit in is the shaft of the special bolt shown above.

Just realised something. When I loosened the lower cover bolt it wouldn't loosen but came away stuck with the cover. I probably removed the evaporator bolt ages ago and have been wasting my time looking for it.

Time to remove the four other screws completely and give it a gentle wack.

Looking at that photograph I would say what you can see there is the threaded end of the evaporator shoulder bolt sheared off in the block *frown* . Your water pump appears to be then just held in place by the four remaining bolts. It that's the case you may be able to get the stump of the bolt out once the pump is off, you may have to live with it if you can't - in which case the evaporator / no evaporator question becomes completely academic because the evaporator won't be doing anything with the big bolt missing anyway.

Once you have removed the remaining bolts, there are two dowel pegs (I think, from memory) that locate the pump. There's a rubber O-ring rather than a gasket, so that won't be sticking it to the block but it could be stuck on the dowels if it is a bit corroded. Gently tapping with a soft mallet should loosen it off, by try to tap it in such a way that you are knocking it forwards rather than sideways otherwise all you are doing is straining the dowels.

When you put the new pump on, stick the new rubber O-ring into the groove with a smear of silicone grease and make sure it doesn't move out of place.

I spotted the rear bolt as soon as I managed to free the pump. Very fiddly to undo and do back up. I have a ratchet spanner but it took a lot of toing and froing.

The shoulder bolt had sheared and had less than 1/4" sticking out the block but fortunately I managed to undo it with pliers. I have fitted a standard bolt for the time being but I need to get the correct bolt or I'm going to have a flappy upper cover next to the belt. I think the original must have been very close to bottoming out in the hole which may explain the shearing. I have cut the new bolt slightly shorter than the original.

The new pump has a rubber cap that goes over a channel in the casting. I'm guessing that this may be a cheapo version of the evaporator. I stuck it on with blue gasket sealant. Not sure if this is a good idea or not as there is a risk of it coming off and getting caught in the belt.

My next job is to get to the bottom of a heater leak while the system is drained so you may see me pop-up in another thread shortly.

Sheared bolt:

P1010666.JPG.4d132359a7a42e5b6bfe14d881fec81b.JPG

New pump v old:

P1010659.JPG.3e7bb16d2902dd1219e12cc86e5f24c0.JPG

New evaporator?:

P1010667.JPG.90ebb7460d5a6cc2b694e5343a3cfe71.JPG

Part number of pump (metal impeller) included with Gates kit from Ebay:

P1010663.JPG.1f8aafa5c0855acdf41bbc3cbba398e4.JPG

Rimmer Bros do two types of pillar/shoulder bolts. PEW100070 for £6.20 or PEW100070L for £3.96 which has the message "USE PEW100070". Any idea if these parts are interchangeable?

As I've not got the pucker evaporator on the new pump is there a different bolt I should be using? The Rover/Elise manuals I have show a pillar bolt without an evaporator but no part number.

In your case it might have been a bad choice of method; doing it this way you have discovered that the original belt was apparently installed misaligned by one tooth at the crank. If you had sliced the belt and just duplicated the timing you would not have corrected this.

I did about 30 miles today with the new belts and the engine feels more responsive. I even stalled it a couple of times on the drive so I don't think it is my imagination. It's almost as though a very minor clutch slip that I didn;t know I had has been cured. Could one tooth being out on the old belt or less slack/stretch in the new belts be the cause? It was a bit disconcerting at first as I was expecting no improvement as I don't recall any difference after a a garage did the last belt change.

There are 24 teeth on the crank pulley (48 on the cam pulleys).

Each tooth is therefore 360/24 = 15 crank degrees.

From your pictures, all of the cams had reached their timing marks before the crank had reached its mark (rotating clockwise) so the cams were all advanced by 15 crank degrees.

In performance terms, that's a big difference. I think Dave Andrews reckons they naturally run a few degrees retarded from their optimum positions which is why he supplies offset dowels, but I think usually by around 4 to 6 crank degrees, so advancing them by 15 would leave them in the region of 10 crank degrees too far advanced. You will notice the difference I'm sure.

And yes the one tooth error is way more than you would get from belt stretch.

Enjoy!

Very surprised that one tooth adds up to so much but the maths now make sense of why. Oily said on a post somewhere that the timing can be out by 70 degrees before a valve hits a piston. As a number that sounded a heck of a lot to me but it means that just four teeth out is the limit and obviously anything in between is not going to run quite right.