Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Uprights and spherical bearings

stuart147

I have just had the uprights and steering arms re plated and decided to start putting eveything back together today. The nearside went together very easily with no problems however, the bottom of the offside upright was a very tight fit through the spherical bearing compared to the nearside one.I managed to get it in by tightening the nut which pulled it in. I then noticed that it was approx 1 mm from sitting correctly on the shoulder at the end of the thread. I foolishly used some force on the nut and noticed that when the upright moves as it would when steering, the spherical bearing was actually turning as well. I have now dismantled the offside again.

I presume that the tightness is caused by the plating. How could I remove this to make it a better fit?

Should I replace the offside spherical bearing just in case it is damaged?

Stuart

I am not a great expert, but, I would use some fine wet and dry paper until enough plating is removed to allow the bearing to seat, and then use plenty of copper slip to stop it seizing.

I think it is unlikely you have damged the bearing as you were only applying extreme force to the centre section, and the outer was only acting against the spring pressure against the wishbone which it is designed to do. I suspect you need to use some sort of locking compiund to bond the outer part of the bearing into the wishbone, and it should work OK.

Howver, obviously give a chek while you have it off the car and make sure there isn't any slop in the bearing.

Duncan

Hi Ian.  I have had a good look at the bearing and it does not look damaged. The problem I have is that the offside upright appears to be a very tight fit in the bearing. Nearside one slides in easily. I need to try to remove/smooth the offside coating on the upright a little. I was wondering if something like emery cloth would take sufficient off the upright.  It must only be a few microns thick.

Stuart

SM25T, Of course I meant copper slip on the upright to prevent seizing on the thread, the bearing doesn't require lubrication.

Stuart, the inner sphere is supposed supposed to turn with the upright as the nut clamps it tight to the upright so wear is on the bearing not the thread. However, it should seat fully onto the shoulder and shouldn't be so tight on the upright that it can't seat fully as you said.

It is good that you've managed to get it apart again *smile*

All the best

Duncan