Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon prop

A10ROX

I'm not sure they really work that well. I once had an animated discussion with the leader of a Le Man's team (Panoz) in the pits at 2am. They had a front engined car and a Carbon prop to "protect the driver when it let's go". I suggested that it might be better to use a metal one which wouldn't let go too often. This wasn't a welcome suggestion as it was against their design philosophy (and they lost the prop on a regular basis throughout the season). The bottom line is that designing a Carbon prop isn't too easy as the material doesn't react well to out of plane stresses. It was a few years ago (Noel Edmond's "team" year) so the technology might be better now.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Thread resurrection...

I found the following "Steel Shaft Vs Carbon Fiber Shaft" just by chance:

It looks like a CFC shaft might be an expensive option and I still think it might not be a long life item under road conditions but there are possibilities.

Steve

Just a word of advice. I had the UJ fail on my propshaft and it is by pure luck that I'm still here to recount the tale.

Do not take a chance. There is the physical damage it does to the car, and potentially you through the side of your seat but also fuel and electrics running down the inside of the tunnel. My fuel pipe was squashed but luckily did not rupture, that combined with a damaged electrical loom and it would have gone up in smoke with me in it.

Please make damned sure whatever it is down there is in good condition and fit for purpose

DD