Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anybody had PBC and IVA done by South recently?

griffchris

I am metaphorically pacing up and down, wishing away the next 3 weeks or so until my 420R self build kit arrives, with many queries randomly popping up in my brain, often in the dead of night.

Today's obsession is this:  I've been thinking and reading a fair bit about the engine running in period, and there is a substantial school of thought that the engine needs to be run hard (but not over-revved) for the first 20 to 50 miles to ensure good sealing of the piston rings.

Assuming I make it that far, the engine will be started towards the end of the build to check there are no fluid leaks, fans work etc, but then it will be packed off to Caterham South for PBC and I will asking them to IVA it as well.  I understand Caterham will test drive it (to bed the brakes in as much as anything), but I was wondering what kind of mileage they will be putting on it in this whole process (do they drive it to the IVA test centre and back?), as (if you subscribe to this school of thought) these first few miles are so important.

I had wondered whether trying to get a few sneaky miles on to it before it goes to PBC/IVA might be worthwhile, on a private facility/road of course, but this might be a bit OTT.......

Thanks

Chris

• Leadership Team

Chris,

Caterham South did my PBC and IVA (twice, it failed the first one). From memory there was about 100 miles on the clock. I thought that getting them to do the IVA was worthwhile and saved a lot of hassle.

Simon

Wow, 100 miles is quite a bit! - presumably the majority of that must be driving to and from the IVA (x2)?

I wonder if getting them to "van" it there is an option?  I know this might seem a bit OCD but if I'm going to build the thing I feel like I'd like to make sure it's run-in in the best possible way.  I guess a phone call to Caterham is in order when I get a bit closer to the time......

Glad to hear it's running well Simon.  Apologies if my post came across as critical of your running in process, that wasn't my intention, I think I'm just trying to justify to myself why I'm concerning myself about this when there will undoubtedly be a lot of bigger hurdles/crises in the way before I get to this point!

Chris

My 620R was delivered with about 150 mile on it ( several IVA  trips ).

Tyres showed signs of "wear " indicating proper bedding in of the engine had taken place   *rofl*

The next week it did a track day at Cadwell . The rings were obviously well bedded in because it doesn't use a drop of oil now .

Mine was taken to its first IVA on a trailer/transporter. Because it failed on a brake problem, CC drove it to Dartford for the next one, and the brakes were fine.

I recommend talking it through with Paul Gilchrist nearer the time. He's a very helpful and  resonable chap, and I'm sure will be sympathetic to how you want to do it.

Ned

What type of oil are you going to use for the running in period? I just used a good quality mineral oil of the correct viscosity to help things bed in & after a  few hundred miles changed to fully synthetic.

8 years & 30K miles later it doesn't use a drop of oil between oil changes (unless I overfill it *whistle* )

My 150 miles was because it had to go to IVA several times ,the DVLA had an issue with their emissions testing equipment at the time and several of the CC cars kept failing . It was also one of the first 620R cars and at that time the quiet exhaust was under development so noise failure was also an issue .

Mine was a one off .