Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR electrics

DMorris

Front passenger side light, passenger rear light and number plate light all on one 5 amp circuit/fuse - keeps blowing so can't get it through the MOT - OK when cold, new fuse all works well - take it out for a blast (and the the MOT centre) - fuse blows. Any idea how I begin to track the problem or do I just call an auto electrician?!

Cheers

Dean

Difficult to say for sure Tim, I would have to go out again and see. When you do put a new fuse in after it's been on a run to replace the blown one and turn the side lights on it just blows the fuse instantly. If I stick a new fuse in tomorrow morning when it's cold, it will work fine in isolation or with the engine running. As soos as it goes out for a run - blows.

Thats not going to be an easy one, int shorts are a bugger, trying to think how heat could be having any effect, as you say fuse 7 only supplies LH lights and numberplate.  I wonder if its heat or something being stretched when driving that slowly eases when stopped, so I guess the place to look could be where cable runs up to the sidelight, could turning the steering be nipping/stretching the wire

Tim

Got it Tim - new fuse - ignition off - all OK. Turn side lights off - start car - all OK side lights work. Turn lights off - start car  - all lights OK

However

Turn lights on and start car - fuse blows ; or if leave lights on working and turn ignition off - fuse blows

Still going with vibration/stretching/nipping of a cable, somewhere were it runs up to the front side light, trouble is can't see anywhere you can easily split the cct down between front and back :-( guess a physical inspection of visible cables front and back is the first step , I suppose with the igntion and lights off you could connect meter between 12v line at front light and Earth and physicaly cause vibration in light units support bracket

Tim

I can't explain the relation to starting.

How much can you isolate various parts of the wiring to the three lights? I think all of them have local connectors. Break all of those and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't add them back one at a time.

And what Tim says.

Jonathan

PS: You're going to eat a lot of fuses on this. It might be worth buying a resettable circuit breaker.

dean Hi,

the secret to electrical fault finding is splitting the ccts if possible, difficult with that cct,

you know that with the lights turned on starting the engine causes the fuse to blow, 

so , as jk said, can you disconnect all the lights at the bulb holders, then turn the light switch to on and start the engine

if fuse doesn't blow then problem would seem to be at a holder, if fuse does blow then its the wiring somewhere, more of a problem to find as its pretty much only physical inspection that will help, its a big step but you could cut wires to split cct and use Multimeter to find shorts, then use in line splice to rejoin wire

Tim

Just occured to me , I have not had fuse box off but it maybe possible to split back and front ccts on the back of Fuse 7 holder, worth a look to see if there are two or more connectors that could be disconnected.

Tim

... can you disconnect all the lights at the bulb holders

Same principle of isolation, but I was thinking of breaking the three circuits where the fly leads from the lampholders connect to the wiring harness rather than at the lampholder.

... but it maybe possible to split back and front ccts on the back of Fuse 7 holder, worth a look to see if there are two or more connectors that could be disconnected.

Don't know where they separate, but this would help a lot to localise the problem if it does turn out to be in the wiring. Easiest to try the three lamp units first.

Jonathan

breaking the three circuits where the fly leads from the lampholders connect to the wiring harness - See more at: http://www.lotus7.club/comment/2145613#comment-2145613

even better JK, haven't got my car here to see where its possible, didn't realise there were fly leads to the loom, thought loom went straight to lamp holder. Trouble is I am used to mill spec diagrams with every connector defined in the diagram 

Tim

What happens if you put a slighly large fuse in ? maybe try a 7.5A or ( 10 to start with and work back ?) 

I had a problem with an ECU fuse continually blowing on my old car and CC advised me to up it one size and it was fine forever after that , seemed the original was just a bit too marginal .