Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sourcing a dry sump pump (only)

Tigger

POBC,

As part of a major overhaul programme I think I need to replace my existing dry sump pump (bellhousing type).  The one I currently have is a purple pump which I understand to be suitable for 1.4 K-series engine but could really do with a gold pump.

Looking at the Caterham parts website it doesn't look like these are available any more so would like to find out what the general wisdom is on alternative pumps suitable for a DVA breathed-on 1.8K.

Thanks

Tim

Some years ago I did a 1.4 to 1.8 conversion, retaining my purple pumped DS system.  I arranged with Titan Motorsport who made the system originally, to refurbish my purple pump with new innards. This cost around £100 I think.  The history of the purple and gold pumps is that for the original K series race cars like my 1.4, the lower capacity purple pump was adequate to scavenge the oils from the sumo. As K series development occurred and the race series featured bigger and more powerful engines and brakes, it was realised the purple pump couldn't cope, and for the SLR race series, the upgraded gold pump with swirl tower was introduced.

With this understanding of the background to pump selection, I was comfortable in retaining my purple pump with my 1.8, given my car is predominately road use with a very occasional track day.  As such, purple vs gold pump depends on what your going to use the car for.  For belt and braces, go gold, but it is pricey and you need the swirl tower to de-aerate the oil as its so effective.