Click here if you are having website access problems ×

route from Llandow to Lys-y-fran

magister

I wont give advice on the 'best route' - but are you aware that this is one of the most competitive events in the Club Calendar?

The race, I mean drive, from Llandow to Llys Y Fran, whilst towing (usually in the pouring rain), quickly divides in to the relevant Classes (Hot hatch tow cars, 4x4's, Campers etc), with those smug arrive and drivers overtaking you once they have got the windscreen back on. (Dont worry they soon run out of fuel or have to stop to put the roof on).

Eventually the road gets to be the same width as your trailer and you know that maybe you should have looked at the map (like Paul and Becs) instead of following the Sat Nav.

But will it be worth it; yes, one of the perfect sprinting moments is when you arrive at Llys Y Fran on a beautiful Summers evening. Lets hope it's like that!

Cant believe its your first trip - you'll love it.

• Support Team

M4 until it ends then A48 to Carmarthen where you join the A40. Follow the "here be Dragons" signs to the end of the world and then turn right :-). Actually follow the A40 until somewhere around Narberth and then turn right (N). If you follow the signs to Clarbeston you're heading in the right direction and then you will pick up signs to Llys y Fran country park. We normally follow Satnav and end up on some tiny country roads but I don't think that can be avoided. I'm pretty sure we've travelled a diffferent route every time we've gone there!

The only true road race of the season. Get a head start by hitting the green stuff on your Llandow timed runs, so you don't have to hang around at Llandow prize giving. Make sure you fill up on Friday night, to avoid a pit stop. Fit full wets on the tow car as it will rain heavily at some point. Check trailer tyres (and lights!). Don't rely on a phone signal for satnav.

Head west towards the sun until the land runs out.

Don't under any circumstances attempt to follow Sankey/Durrant/Miller, particularly through roundabouts. Don't trust them to let you follow them "at a gentle pace". They will abandon you halfway up a hill somewhere unpronouncable. But remember - they will be on a one stop strategy - you can still win, with blocking tactics on the single track "Monaco" section as the roads thin out.

For those with a little more history/experience the real trailer race was held at the first event the L7C attended Llys y Fran and began on a Sunday morning from my place.  Some locals had such a late night they failed to show and we had time to make up.

I remember the "wired" look of a certain Mr N Cavanagh when we arrived at the hill :-)  *yikes*