Click here if you are having website access problems ×

k series silicone coolant hose query

johnsail1983

Hello!  Having owned my Caterham (1.8k series) for about a year now, this is the first time I've actually posted something on the forum (although I've been making good use of all the content already here - thanks for that!)

I have just been fitting a silicone hose set which I bought from Classsic Silicone Hoses.  All going fairly well I think, but I have a bit of a concern about the hose which turns through 180deg from the thermostat.  The original turns fully through 180deg, but the replacement doesn't (it's the hose in the bottom centre of this picture http://www.classicsiliconehoses.com/wp-content/gallery/uploads/caterham-rover-k-engine-improved-r.jpg  )This means that it gets slightly bent in order to achieve the right direction, and this is reducing the cross-sectional area of the hose at the bend somewhat.

I wondered if any of you have purchased a similiar set, and whether this has been any problem, or whether you have found this not to significantly affect the flow of coolant??  I notice that the hose in the SFS set is not 180deg either....

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!  It's on now, so would be great to leave it as it is, but if you think it's risky, I'll probably change it!

Thanks in advance and for the excellent forum content in general!

Cheers

John

Hi, thanks for your quick response.  I've just uploaded some pictures - the first two of the new hose and the last of the original. The first picture makes the situtaion look worse than the second!  The new one is not moulded to sit at a 180deg bend (unlike the original), so is being bent slightly, which closes up the area at the bend a bit.  However, I've no idea how critical this is and would really welcome some opinions.  The movement is restricted, so it can't bend any more, so there's no danger of it actually kinking.

Thanks again,

John

new_hose_1.jpg.62f82e27d6d75ec3d1400abaf66af55d.jpg

new_hose_2.jpg.cb22d7c1b6e6423ca903c31c5625d9e1.jpgOriginal_Hose.jpg.25f760c496f05323acf9ea9e376ad80f.jpg

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but on the subject on hoses I too fitted some a few years ago...recently changed the coolant (last summer) and topped up again last month after reseating the top rail and noticed lots of gold fleck in my coolant, I am running Comma Red Xtreme G30 in a K series. Is this the hoses, nomal for this coolant, or possibly something else?

Oh and John that looks a very clean engine from the pics....

Just been out to check.

Same engine and same hoses. The J pipe between the thermostat housing and the metal pipe was by far the hardest to fit. Usual approach: lots of lubrication with silicone grease, do the difficult end first, and check who's within earshot. But it came out alright in the end, without a kink.

So I agree with SM25T: fiddle till it's right, both in rotation and longitudinally. 

Jonathan

...recently changed the coolant (last summer) and topped up again last month after reseating the top rail and noticed lots of gold fleck in my coolant, I am running Comma Red Xtreme G30 in a K series. Is this the hoses, nomal for this coolant, or possibly something else?

I haven't heard of that. What colour are the hoses and where were they from? 

Can you get some of the flecks onto filter paper?

(Thinking about copper grease, metal wear... )

Jonathan

Hi guys,

Thank you for your responses.  I think I'm happy to conclude that the hose is probably fine and I'll just see if I can adjust the alignment to improve the bend a bit - I've aligned it horizontally as best it can be (as there is a metal bar restricting any further movement) but I could certainly move them off the joining T bar a bit which would maybe push them apart and open the bend up a bit - I'll do that, thanks for the advice!

Jonathon, yes, you're right, getting it on was a real effort and I'm glad it isn't just me who had to be careful who was within ear shot for that!!!

Regarding the gold flecks, I did see some colouring on the inside of the hoses, which maybe came off the former (I'm not really sure of the manufacturing process) - could it possibly be that?

Looking forward to getting back on the road again!

Cheers

John

It Gold and the hoses were from the bulk buy a few years ago...SFS from memory and mine are red.

Usually pretty good with the copper slip and no known additives. possible G30 eating hoses? Concerned if it metal errosion from the engine especially as using Caterham recomended fluids.

can stick my fingers in again JK