Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Apollo Wheels fouling rear drop link

Graham King

Hi folks, I have recently bought a set of Apollo wheels, 6" fronts and 8" rears. When trying to fit the rears they are fouling on the rear assembly. I was aware of the balance weight issue potentially fouling the dedion ears but this appears fine. When fitted the rear edge of the wheel is hard against the drop link on the rear suspension. The only solution that I can see is to fit a spacer to move the wheel out slightly but this doesn't seem an ideal answer. 

Has anyone else fitted the 8" rears and come across this issue? If so what did you do to get round it?

The car is a 99 Superlight (k-series).  

Many Thanks.

Graham.

Folks, just to add to the above, below is a picture of the droplink I am referring to in my previous post, it is the vertical arm that connects the upper (bar with 4 holes) and lower arms that is being fouled. A real numpty question I suspect but can anyone tell me what this actually is?

CaterhamDroplink.JPG.c6ca19f18af9f97f0d9ac99784911b16.JPG

Thanks.

Graham.

Just as an update on this post in case anyone looks in the future.

I had the wheels fitted yesterday by a local garage, the bolts securing the drop links were seized solid and I couldn't move anything with the facilities available to me. The garage had to relocate the drop links to the other side as Shaun suggested, they also had to play around with the handbrake as that also fouled the wheels once the drop links were sorted. Anyway the wheels do now fit, but have to say still not completely comfortable with how it all fits as the bolt & nut securing the drop link now protrudes inside the wheel line, even if they are ground down I'm not convinced they'd be completely clear. I need to take a closer look when I get time as I'm not clear if the wheel is able to move relative to the bolt or if the gap is effectively fixed. 

My RARB is the over the diff type, I think an under diff type would be fine as the relevant mount appears to be well out of the way. I'm not sure if there were chassis mods to allow the fitting of an under the diff type as that seems a better overall solution. 

Graham