Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC Running rich on Cylinder 1 (solved)

pahu_CH

Just had a look at this, the eu2 engine should run grouped/batched injection, so 1&4 will share the same injector driver and 2&3 will share the other injector driver as far as I can see. If you have a wiring diagram I'll be able to confirm this?

i.e There should be the same pulse width for injectors 1 and 4, so if there was a driver failure in the ECU, I'd expect the issue with no 1 to be replicated in no 4......

All things bringing equal I'd have to with the fault with the engine, but I hope that I'm wrong and the new ECU cures the fault......

Meant to ask if there is any smoke form the exhaust, if it was a sticky oil control ring on piston no 1 I'd expect some smoke from the exhaust?

• 2 weeks later...

So, after another day of:

- Changing inlet manifold gasket (to get a better look at the valves)
- Changing all the Injectors (from another engine)
- Test Drive
- Changing the ECU and Immobiliser
- Test Drive

The problem is solved...

IT WAS THE *censored* ECU!

Now it's running like hell *smokin*...

Thank you all and specially Andrew for the help!!!!

Regards

Patrick

Wooohooo! Thank goodness for that!

Quoting Sherlock Holmes "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth". Everything was pointing to an injector driver, however improbably that seemed, simply because nothing else really made sense.

I've seen a couple of MEMS ECUs (MEMS3 in the other cases) that have had specific circuits failing recently. I guess they are generally very robust and reliable but they are reaching an age now were failures may start to be more common than they once were.

Glad it's all running and you now have the satisfaction of a hybrid engine you built yourself. Enjoy!

@Jonathan:

In grouped injection mode, rather than firing each injector individually at the optimal point in the overall engine cycle, groups of injectors are fired together. Typically the injectors for pairs of cylinders which are half an engine cycle apart will be fired together. The injector timing will then be driven purely by the crankshaft position and without reference to the camshaft position (which in sequential injection would be used to determine which of the pair was on the induction stroke and which of the pair was on the power stroke). Each injector will fire twice per cycle for half the time.

If this engine were using grouped injection, the injectors for cylinders 1 and 4 would be driven together by a common circuit. They would most likely just be wired in parallel. In this case any timing problem with the driver in the ECU would necessarily affect cylinders 1 and 4 equally.

Edited to add that firing order is 1-3-4-2 so 1 and 4 would form one pair and 3 and 2 would form another.