Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Musty Hoods

Occulomency

Dear POBC,

What's the best cure for a musty hood?

I rarely use the thing, but on Friday due to an unfortuante confluence between the rain and the requirement for an MOT, I was forced.

Trouble is the last time I used it I must have put it away damp, which has created a fine growth of mold over the inner flocked surface.

My first thoughts are to just chuck the full hood and buy a half hood instead, but I am informed by Beloved that this is not an option.

So, anyone know of a good way to freshen up my musty hood?

Thanks,

Fraser.

1 Kill the mould: very dilute bleach, and this sort of stuff might be convenient.

2 Clean with shampoo and extreme gentleness.

3 Get it dry. No, really dry. Even drier.

4 Clean all the areas in the boot etc that it's been near. Although the spores are everywhere and just waiting for the right conditions I'd find it hard not to add this step.

Do you need to do the outer surface as well?

Jonathan

I prefer to apply with a 3" wide soft paintbrush .... and a good couple of coats .... while hood fitted to car. I have a one litre tin of Granger's Fabsil. It says 7.5m2 of lightweight canvas or 5m2 of medium weight. I think this 1 litre has done me two coats two times on half hood and there is some left. I buy it quite cheap from Go Outdoors with discount card.