Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Poly bush advice please.

DJ.

I have a pretty standard 125 Roadsport with just rear trailing arms and A  frame. Unfortunately my diff drips oil and consequently the A frame to De Dion bush is always covered in oil. From what I've heard this isn't good and it's likely the bush will fail prematurely.

Replacing the bush with a polyurethane one seems like a good idea to me, particularly as pressing another rubber one into the De Dion sounds like a pig of a job.

So I was wondering what you think about this. First, are poly bushes more resistant to oil? Second, is it OK to swap just the one bush or would I have to change all of the bushes on the rear suspension? And third, if my plan is OK, which company would you recommend to get the bush from?

Thanks for your advice *smile*

Duncan

IMO, Polybushes aren't ideal and won't necessarily last as long/loonger than the standard.

You'd be best off sorting the leak (it's not a big job to change driveshaft seals, or the rear plate.
Front pinion seal is fiddlier, but not a big job, either.

Then change the A-frame bushes, or buy a new A-frame.

FYI - Arch will refurb/rebush all suspension components to like new.

I am intrigued as to why Poly bushes are not ideal or a positive scenario? Would you please elaborate chaps as I race my car with them now for 4 seasons as does my previous SLR and other fast Caterhams and have not witnessed or heard of any issues whatsoever, but I do hear positive remarks from pleased customers? I do admit they need maintenance probably twice during a race season which if your a lazy bustard and cannot be bothered then they are not for you. But there is no argument whatsoever that they enhance my suspension and compliment my Quantum dampers, so find your negative comments strange?

Thanks for the replies, it is the pinion seal that leaks and I'm on my second diff that leaks from this. I just got fed up taking it in and out, so have decided it's easier jut to top it up occasonally.

I'm not sure the current bush has failed yet, but the ease of fitting a poly bush really appeals.

My main worry is that there is some major drawback to mixing rubber and poly bushes.

I Have the same problem with my live axel. Drip-drip-drip.

i looked into doing what you are proposing.

my 1600vx build manual suggests fitting a metal washer between the rubber bushes.  this makes a kind of scrap-heap-challenge rose joint. the axel can still rotate over bumps but the bushes are protected from being crushed during acceleration by the washer.

Over Christmas i contacted Redline and went the whole hog (~£120 inc vat) and bought a new a-frame with a rose joint fitted and it is AMAZING.

So pleased with it. 

And now the drip lubricates the rose joint...

Mines been leaked on pretty much since build in 2001 - many miles later, it still seems fine.  So maybe worrying too much too soon about the rubber disintegrating?   I'd be much more worried about oil holding grit and dust on a rose joint or polyurethane bush and wearing it away.

Bri

DJ

Are you sure it is the pinion seal ? I was troubled with a leak from the nose of the diff which eventually turned out to be from the drive flange splines. Phil at Road and Race suggested this was the cause and talked me through an easy fix for this.

Remove the drive flange, ( bolt a steel rod to the drive flange, and use an air impact gun- my friendly ATS did this for me). Throughly clean the splines on the pinion drive and the flange with a solvent, apply RTV to the splines and replace the drive flange and re-torque nut. 

It has never leaked since I did this 8 years ago.

Malcolm

Thanks for your comments, I'm thinking of trying the poly bush first if I find the old bush has had it.

It will be easier to fit than a standard bush and is relatively cheap.

Duncan

Andy,  I have a rose jointed A frame, mine is from CC during the short period they supplied them, however I suspect they are Arch Motors manufactured. 

Only draw back I have found is the cost of the "rose joint"  bearing, this gets slogged out by the debris off the road adhering to the lubricant. The price of a replacement is equivalent to a box of rubber cones. 

​If the  Redline item is the same as I have there is sufficient space either side to install some home made rubber seals, just washers of rubber to fit in the A frame "eye", located by the conical spacers between the joint and the diff bracket. This trick has increased the longevity of the bearing many times. 

​Regards,  Nigel. 

• 2 years later...

Thought I would update this thread. I removed the old bush (didn't look too bad) and the very worn nylon washers. I replaced it with the Powerflex polybush made for later DeDion chassis, and the excessive rear steer feeling has gone *smile*                Duncan

If they were Powerflex, then he has installed them incorrectly.

In my experience they often come with either two thin nylon washers or too thick, if incorrect they would not work let alone last. It's quite simple, when installed the metal bush must be slightly proud of the nylon washers.