Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Caliper Bolts - Confused!

revilla

Wanting to buy some replacements for the bolts which attach the Sierra rear calipers to the ends of the slider pins on the carrier (the bolts you would remove when changing pads). Fordpedia shows them as (part 13 below) FINIS 1619124 and M10 x 25. Other sources concurr on both the part number and size.

The bolts I've removed from mine are 8mm diameter (they look like M8, no way M10) and about 22mm threaded length! Any ideas?

http://www.fordopedia.org/images/parts-catalog-illustrations/sierra82/E3.30.gif

Now even more confused as for example this listing for the slider that the bolt fits into states that the internal thread in M8 x 1.25 which agrees with what I have found on mine, but an M10 bolt doesn't go into an M8 hole!

Guess they must have fitted different sizes at some point but I can't find a reference to the M8 bolt anywhere.

Yes 13mm AF is standard for M8 so seems to agree. As far as I know they are standard, but they were on the car when I bought it so don't know for sure where they were sourced from. Car was originally kit-built and I think a few of the parts were not sourced from Caterham (the engine for sure). Car was registered 2003 but I think it's more like a 2001 kit and the builder took his time!

I've stripped all the rear suspension and driveshafts out to fix a leaking driveshaft oil seal in the diff, the oil from which has eaten my A-frame bush. So getting the de Dion, A-frame and Watts linkages refurbished, rebushed and powder coated while they are out. Also installing flexible brake hoses, so having a good look at and clean up of the calipers while accessible.

The old bolts are looking tatty, look like they have been in and out more often than the hokey-cokey with a bucketfull of threadlock applied each time which is now caked into the threads and rock hard. The four of them are not even all the same - two are marked as 10.9 but the others I'm not sure about. Seemed sensible to fit a new set of the correct bolts when reassembling.

I guess I could source M8 10.9 hex setscrews from any number of fastener suppliers but it's the odd length that concerns me - 22mm. They screw into a blind hole in the slider pin so there's a risk that a 25mm bolt could be bottomed out rather than properly tight but I don't like the idea of going shorter than standard - I can imaging these bolts take a fair load for M8s.

@Mankee: I changed the pads not so long ago. At that time I re-used the bolts as the new pads didn't come with new ones. I bought two sets at the time - at the rate I'm using them up on a road car I think they will last a me lifetime, so buying another set of pads work out a bit expensive.

@metal mickey: No they're metric and I did mean 13mm, I was using AF as just an abbreviation for "across flats" for the spanner size. Maybe a bit sloppy usage I know.

@simonpa: Yeah I will give them a call thanks. I'm sure they'll have seen this before.

@simompa: Good call! Just phoned Redline, he looked them up on his system which also said they were M10 x 25 - but he said he knew what I wanted and they had a box of them somewhere, rummaged around for a bit and found me a set, which were indeed M8 x 22, 10.9 nickel plated with threadlock. At 30p each I couldn't really complain *smile*