Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cadwell - A BIG THANK YOU

Andy Wendler

Ladies & Gents 

Can I just say many thanks for the people that turned up, despite the less than favorable weather forecast & stayed when the same forecast proved correct!

A number of people call it a day mid morning, which I can understand but the rain gods seemed to hear my plea and the afternoon had a dry (mostly) track and the sound of rain was replaced by high revs & tortured rubber!

I've seen lots of kind comments under the various headings re organisation & thank you for them all, given it was my first event. I was very much leaning on Merrick to show me the ropes and help me out, which he did in spades, so thank you Merrick.

Unfortunately we did have a couple of off's but both guys were fine, which is the main thing and hopefully it wont put them off Track Days. 

Merrick & Phil were fantastic on the tuition front and to go out as a passenger, in the rain in the early sessions, when you don't have control of the wheel/throttle/brakes was brave or mad, take your pick! So thank you to the pair of you.

Staff at MSV were great and very professional and the marshals dealt with matters very quickly I felt.

Big thumbs up to Gillian who showed that the 620r throttle works both ways and as they say, power is nothing without control and she piloted the car with fantastic control.

I understand there is a discussion to be had about going back to sessions, which I will happily kick off in the future and see where this takes us, as at the end of the day, these are your events.

Hopefully everybody had a safe journey home.

So onwards & upwards (downwards) to Brands and lets hope its true what they say in that it never rains in the south!! (said as a Northern residing in the Midlands!)

Cheers 

Andy 

Andy,

It was great to meet up the night before at the Royal Oak - good recommendation whoever came up with that one.  Many many thanks for a great event, even if it was a little 'challenging' at times!  Cadwell is a great circuit and is now on my must return list, but hopefully in the dry - I'm still trying to dry the carpet under the drivers seat from all the rainwater that got in!!

Ditto the comments re Merrick and Phil - Merrick sat along side me late morning whilst it was still raining hard and just after the circuit had re-opened following the big accident.  It was my first session at Cadwell and my first track session in the wet, yet thanks to his bravery and great instruction I've learnt so much more about car control in the wet that will stand me good for whenever I drive in the wet either on the track or on the road.

Work prevents me from making the Brands Indy session, but hoping to get to the Brands GP session on 29 July.

Bob

Andy, you did absolutely superb job.

Don't worry about the groups so much - I did not feel threatened despite being in the novice group, driving my car on the track for the first time and never been to Cadwell before I felt perfectly safe - the faster boys were very patient and I did not feel intimidated at all. 

Phill "lost" £4 in my passenger's footwell - they are safe with me. His tuition was definitely worth much more than that. He was spectacularly good and useful. 

I've rearanged the work and Brands Hatch looks very possible now.

Keep up the good work and when you come up with the place to stay next to the track, let me know. 

Did anyone else notice the high number of CSRs and R500s at Cadwell? There are normally only one or two of each, but there seemed to be a lot more than usual - or was it just where I was parked up?

Might explain why I had to keep pulling over in the dry to let them pass *laugh*  

• 2 weeks later...

Madcat, thanks for the link to my video.  I was a bit surprised at what I found when I clicked on your link.  Unfortunately there was another car 8 seconds up the road from my little battle for second so it's obviously still possible to go a little faster.

Tony, I really can't afford to have an accident so I was taking no unnecessary chances *tongue*