Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cooking cables

jackb_ms

Hello All

The exhaust of my 21 has cooked the cable going to the starter motor which makes startin the car a 2 man (or woman) job.

I need to replace this cable.

Is there such a thing a a cable rated to work at hight temperature?

If not can your recomend a sleeve to help protect the cable from the radiated heat?

Thank you

Jack

The cable which cooked is the cable going to the solenoid of the starter motor.

I was rerouted bewteen the starter motor and the engine but it had to get closer to the exhaust for the connection.

I will check RS to see if they have something similar as your link Ian

Jack

Is the starter solenoid above or below the starter?  I had so much trouble with my old starter with the solenoid above, I fitted one with the underslung solenoid.  All the wiring can now be routed under the starter and exhaust manifold.  

I had a closer look tonight removed the starter motor for inspection.

The solenoid connection is a solder tab, I removed the broken bit of cable and made a new connection. The cable is now rerouted between the block and the starter motor.

The cable I am using is rated at a higher temperature and as two layer of insulation.

I will use the heat sleeve to protect the new cable when received.

I may also get a much bigger sleeve the wrap the solenoid, however I am wondering if this will cause a issue with heat retention in the solenoid.

If that sleeve is good I will use it to protect the cable from the alternator also.

Jack