Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lowered Light Brackets

Nick Chan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After this post I will appear to be either a headlight bracket hoarder, or fetishist or just plain mad .. ..but as a minimum  I will definitely have to go back to the garage and re-align 2 sets of headlights.

Of the 6 brackets of the recent fabrication that I still have here (and that after un-wrapping a parcel that is being despatched tomorrow) I measured ID's of the boss in range 15.69-15.79mm. (I'm not going to give mean, mode, median or SD numbers - too small a sample *nerd* )

I measured hollow bolt on two seperate cars (though both of same era) and got a range of 15.52 - 15.57mm. (A this is likely a 5/8 UNF bolt it would have, when new, a major diameter of 15.875mm, and what I measured is likely to be part-way down the depth of the thread).

Based on the above numbers alone - I can confirm that the coating is thicker than we (I) had allowed for, but not by much.

Steve - the only number that I can get which is close to the 14.5mm that you mentioned is the nut ID which I measure as 14.75mm (and I think ties in nicely with thread dimensions for 5/8 UNF). 

I then went on to measure a few more brackets which I have "floating around" in the shed with the following results :-

Pre 1994 style (Caterham Part 78016) - 15.2mm diameter hole in the plate.

'96-98 swan neck type (Caterham Part 71192) - old ones just taken off the car, which had no coating visible on the bore of the boss, 15.84mm, and a new unfitted pair which I bought a couple of months ago had a very generous 16.3mm hole !!

So perhaps the newer hollow bolts are not 5/8"unf but some metric equivalent ? I definitely didn't know that.

Clive/Steve - my indicator pods are quite some way off the suspension, though the headlights are angled "down" in the hollow bolt slot(if that makes any sense) which effectively raises the front edge of the indicator pod. 

rgds, Dave

Hi Dave,

I'll have another look at the hollow bolt fixing, as I didn't seem to have any up/down movement within the lamp housing. Only need a few degrees to raise the indicator pod.

Results look excellent BTW, although the nosecone could cause a shadow in the light pattern, and the indicators are only visible from straight ahead now. May need to fit a small repeater in the top of the headlight ?

Thanks,

Clive

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...