Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upright top ball joint splitter

ChrisC

Doubt very much you getting one in there.  Best to use a nut & bolt and jack the thing out.  Undo the nyloc nut and wind it down 'till it rests on a bolt head screwed all the way into a nut, trapping it on the bearing housing.   Hold one and unscrew the other.  If it does not jack out the taper get it tight and tap the housing (big tap).  You will probably drop the thing a time or two but persistance and shouting will see it come off.

Good luck

I've got one that popped the ball joints out fine. I can't remember what brand it is, but probably a cheapo Draper type thing. It's a bit of a trek from Benfleet to Ipswich, but you are more than welcome come up for a cuppa and borrow it until whenever, as I don't plan to be removing uprights soon. Or use the nut and bolt method, which I've never tried myself, but I know it works well for plenty of people.

How strange. Do you think they've changed the ball joints on the newer cars or something? The jaw is a little snug but you can get under the ball joint with a bit of gentle persuasion and taking care not to tear the rubber boot.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Another newbie here, jacking it out with a bolt looks the best way of doing it. But I am stuck even undoing the nyloc, the cycle wing stays make it impossible to fit even a T-bar in there, let alone a torque wrench. Do you just use a ring spanner and guess the torque when doing it back up?