Click here if you are having website access problems ×

In Can Cat

Geoff Corker

Nothing to do with feeding pussies!

It seems as though I require a catalytic convertor for my 1800K Series car.  It has four primaries leading to a collector with only a very short length of pipe before it enters the silencer box.  As far as I am aware this is all standard stuff that has not been altered since Caterham built and SVA'd the car in January 2000.  Do I need to shorten the silencer to fit a cat and who does a suitable low resistance cat that can be fitted into a 6" diameter silencer?

It would be good to establish exactly what you have fitted now, does the silencer section look like this :-  http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271804202205 if so then it is the exhaust as fitted to many Supersport engined cars, 2 types of exhaust manifold precede this either most popularly as you describe 4 pipes into a 4 into 1 collector or 4 pipes into 2 into 1 both don't feature a catalyst.

If it's the systems above 3 options exist, either obtain the Caterham system as listed by Ian B (they pop up from time to time moderately cheaply £100 to £200 on eBay and Pistonheads) and fit it at MOT time OR have a Cat in the Can from Powerspeed as mentioned by SM25T and either use it all the time or again just at MOT time OR find an MOT station who are relaxed about the emissions test which is harder than it was but still not completely unheard of.

• 2 weeks later...