Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4 Supersport (128hp) Plenum Construction

A7 OOH

Can anyone tell me if the 1.4  engine upgraded to 128hp, in the early days was ever fitted with a Plastic Plenum System.

From what I have read and from pictures studied the good book says as part of the upgrade to 128hp the engine was fitted with a larger bore free flow aluminum plenum system marked up Supersport.

Can anyone throw light on the subject? Perhaps those with this model can help. I run a 1.4 128hp Limited Edition version (No 11) and mine is alloy with a 58mm throttle body, what about its predecessor

Thanks

Gordon

Thanks Oily

That seem odd as my car is one of the 1996 Ltd Edition run out versions and I am on alloy plenum with an ECU2? am I missing something. How do you tell the differance between UCU1 and ECU2

Gordon

As far as I know all the 30 1400 LE models were fitted with the alloy plenum and forward facing throttle body, I owned number 2 of the 30 and can't recall seeing any of the others fitted with the plastic plenum and rear facing T/B, I thought that they were all EU1 as Oily States above.

Some years earlier I owned another 1400 Supersport which had the plastic plenum, I upgraded the T/B to the alloy one from the plastic item, retaining the plastic plenum, this car always felt sharp and quick compared to the LE I owned later which always gave the feeling of being 5hp short and just didn't quite have the crispness of the first. I believe there is a throttle body mod to check for, with the engine turned off get someone to sit in the drivers seat and depress the throttle pedal fully, with the air filter removed look into the intake throat and make sure that the butterfly is fully open. I can't find it at present but somewhere within the tech talk info from old Blatchat it is documented and so is what to do to fix it.

Gordon.

I agree with The Ash's comments in that all the LE 1400 ss seem to be fitted with the alloy plenum.

my car is no 25 and has this arrangement.

the throttle mod mentioned is just a matter of modifying the throttle cable quadrant on the outside of the throttle body by removing the throttle stop .you will need to use a small hacksaw or a dremmel  for this.

This will enable the throttle butterfly to open a fraction more. Mine is modified but to be honest I can tell no real difference in performance!

as for the difference eul to eu2 I am afraid I don't know but am sure oily hands will

Hope this helps

John.

Oily, Ash and John

Many thanks for the information it has clarified matters, and yes it is EU 1 (Euro1) emmision standards, I was getting my EU and ECU muddled. It may be fair to assume that the run out Limited Edition Model is also EU 1 given Caterham using up its stock of 1.4 engines in 1996, even though EU2 came into affect in 96.

Thanks again guys

Gordon

I should have added that if you are coming up to a Cambelt change it is an ideal time to add vernier pulleys, although I never did this to either of mine I understand the 1400 K responds particularly well to having this done.

I believe the problem is that the camshaft dowels which the standard pulleys locate on are often not in the ideal position so the basic timing will be close enough but not perfect, verniers allow the cam timing to be optimised, a cheaper solution is to use offset dowels.

edited to say :- oily beat me to it.