Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Torque and coppaslip/threadlock etc

NedK

Advice please on whether torque settings in the build manual already take account of the added thread treatments (Coppaslip, Threadlock etc). 

I've read the learned article on this in Guides. My assumption is that Caterham have thought of this when specifying torque settings.

Thanks

Ned

Yes.

But if you're following eg the Assembly Guide letter for letter you need to look at the general instructions as well to see what the writer assumed.

It's also a good idea to know the rule of thumb torque settings for fastener sizes. But one of the joys of the web is that you can check here. :-)

Jonathan

Just had a quick look through the assembly guide and it doesn't give any general guidance on the use of coppaslip (I thought it did).  Only a couple of specific mentions at various points throughout.  As a general rule, do people put it on most fasteners?  Or only when the assembly guide says it is needed.

Ned,

I beleive that when  threadlock is required the build manual will (should) say this.

Torgue settings are provided and, I beleive, are on the basis that the bolt/nut are "free to move" other than  for becoming tight. Basically can be done up with fingers and don't need spanners just to get to the "nipped" position. (obv. not true when using nylocs)

As such the addition of coppaslip (or grease of whatever) is sort of "assumed".

Dave