Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Repeater connection to wingstay

700newtons

• Leadership Team

hello folks,

It says in the instructions to attach the earth lead of the repeater to he wingstay using a pop rivet. I'm thinking that in this damp environment there is likely to be rather rapid corrosion between aluminium and steel. Am I being over sensitive, or is the least of my worries...

advice please. 

Not really something to worry about, you may get some corrosion there but as you suggest it's probably the least of your worries. If you wanted to do something different you could run an earth lead with the positive one and earth it elsewhere (in the headlamp maybe?), but personally I wouldn't worry about it.

I've seen people run the repeater wiring down the inside of the wingstay and connect it up somewhere inside the engine bay.   But, in my opinion, the wingstay is a relatively cheap and easy to replace item. I'd rather have corrosion there, than somewhere more critical like a chassis rail.

I wouldn't worry too much.  If you are, just keep an eye on it and replace the wingstay when necessary. We're probably talking 10 years down the line though.  You'll probably have changed the car by then anyway.