Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ok, silly question of the night - clutch take up, K Series Type 9 / AP

Monte Busa

OK, I successfully shortened the gearbox input shaft to work with my VHPD crank and installed the box.  I noticed that the clutch release bearing doesn't contact the pressure plate fingers from my new AP clutch kit until the clutch fork is halfway through it's travel, as fixed by the cutout in the bellhousing.  Normal?

Thanks, 

Aric

Fabricated arm, dry sump - the CRB was the one that was in the gearbox when it was removed from the old engine - it was in good shape, so I reused it (not sure if INA or SKF).  I don't remember the old setup having so much slack though.  I'm using the old flywheel too, and the replacement clutch is an AP Racing kit from CC, their "uprated" Rover kit.

Aric

I'm not familiar with the dry-sump set-up or the uprated AP clutch, but does the fork move far enough to disengage the clutch fully?  If so, I'd have thought you were OK.  Also, is the new friction plate thicker than the original?  If so, that could account for the extra fork travel.

JV

I'm still working on it...stay tuned.  The clutch disc itself is a bit thicker than the old one, which I believe is the reason for excess take-up on the new setup, I'll post what I ended up coming up with when I reach a conclusion or start scracthing my head again...I have some ideas.

Aric