Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2001 Roadsport with 2006 Yamaha R1 engine

charlie_pank

Love the power to weight of your R500 but yearning for something more? Annoyed by how long it takes to slow down? Fed up with having to brake for corners? Want to add more lightness, but the only thing left to strip out is your engine? Curious as to what 14,000rpm feels like? Want a car that literally makes small children cry (mine) when you start it up? Then read on...

Taxed and motd, 14,000 rpm superbike-eater for sale

Drivetrain:

2006 Fuel injected R1 engine (180hp)

Bike box (6spd sequential)

Bailey Morris propshaft with torque tube

Quaiffe ATB diff

Yoko AO21R/185/13

Chassis: 

2001 Academy Roadsport (originally with 1.6 K-series)

Kawasaki Green with black pack

Full cage, side intrusion bar and removeable petty strut

Windscreen AND removeable aeroscreen

Weather gear

Heater

Plumbed in fire-extinguisher

Honeycomb protection in sideskin, drivers floor and fuel tank

Composite seats

Under-dash-handbrake

Instruments:

Stack ST500 for speed, tacho and shift-lights

Compatible with timing beacon

Other bits & pieces:

oil/air heat exchanger

bespoke air intake

FIA battery cutout

bespoke exhaust manifold

Chassis mods for R1 engine by Stuart Taylor motorsport

Q/R Momo

Reg: S5EVN

Always garaged, I am the second owner since new. Selling because I have too many other toys and not enough time.

Looking for £18,000. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If I was looking to swap our SV for an S3, your car would be top of the list - sounds epic and I'd find the difference in values, albeit I'd probably have a feeble attempt at haggling. Not that I'm an expert car valuer...

According to Mr Clarkson it was the sports car for people who knew nothing about sports cars, a bit harsh perhaps and oh so cheap now, not an Abingdon MG though :-(

As above IF I had the wonga I'd also have beaten a path to your door. There is nothing like a BEC, well, apart from another one that is...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Charlie's is a " modern" version of my R1 car. ( see Jan 2015 Lowflying - Weight circa 380kg, 160 bhp.)

Mine's based on a 1988 live axle chassis, with the older carburetor engine. It's a very exciting drive, 12,500 rpm, sequential box and a great soundtrack. Happy to pootle about at 30, or accelerate to 60 in less then 4 secs. Track days, blats and touring with Japanese reliability.

With a de-dion chassis and fuel injection ( approx 20 bhp more then mine ), Charlie' car must be epic, though I've never seen it in the flesh.

No dry sump needed. Spares are easily available and cheap.

Why there's not more R1 7s about, I can't fathom. Just these two that I'm aware of.

If anyone wants to experience a similar car, but can't get to Charlie's, I'm happy to show them over mine.

Then you'll be heading north to bite his hand off.

Clive.

• 2 months later...

Charlie is indeed the second owner as he bought it from me when it was about 18 months old.  I built it to compete int he 2001 Academy finishing 2nd at the end of the season.  At that time it had no damage whatsoever apart from IIRC 2 small stone chips on the RHS panel.

The Kawasaki Green was factory (TSK I guess) painted from new.

I've not seen it since I sold it but I'm sure it must be a great drive with the R1 engine.

• 1 month later...