Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing Sikaflex / Tiger Seal from paintwork

johnpbransfield

Have you already cut through them with dental floss or similar to remove the plate? After that I'd try a thumb nail or credit card to get under the residue.

If that fails then a gentle chemical cleaner such as this. Usual warning about trying it somewhere obscure first.

Jonathan

PS: There are lots of different products labelled "Sikaflex" and this assumes you used something similar to the rest of us. 

Obviously you don't know exactly what it is, but here is a sample comment from a Sikaflex data sheet:

Once cured, the material can only be removed mechanically. Hands and exposed skin should be washed immediately using a suitable industrial hand cleanser and water. Do not use solvents!

• 3 months later...

Why do Caterham use Sikaflex to attach the number plates? Is it to stop the plates from being stolen (it certainly does that). I believe the motor industry as a whole has embraced anti-theft fixings to stop plate theft but I'd guess this is a coincidence :-)

I've acquired another car which was SVA'd by them just over 3 years ago and I can see the Sikaflex is affecting the plates from behind so eventually it'll fail the MOT and need new ones, also some of the SVA piping around the front suspension was applied by them using what looks like Super Glue and something else which I don't recognise, anyone have any similar experiences to share which might give me a clue as to my next steps. I have already tried some xylene (paint safe) stuff which usually shifts anything and that doesn't touch it (although it does seem to work on Sikaflex).

The front wing piping is held on with black silicone and the fog/reverse light stuff clear silicone which is easy to remove.