Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caged Academy cage

LesG

I'm just in the throes of fitting a current Caged Academy cage to my imperial S3, and need to know 2 things if anyone can help me;

How are the front 'feet' secured to the chassis?

And now that cage is on the car, does anyone know the thread size of the bolts which go up above the rear struts?

Cheers Les

• Area Representative

How are the front 'feet' secured to the chassis?

There should be a threaded bush already in the chassis. You need a pair of short 7/16UNF bolts for each "foot". One from the outside and one from the inside on each "foot".

And now that cage is on the car, does anyone know the thread size of the bolts which go up above the rear struts?

'Sorry, don't know that one

Thanks Richard, that makes sense, I was using the passenger side one for a petty strut, and wanted to be sure before I got the drill out for the driver's side. Certain videos on YouTube have prompted my upgrade to full cage *biggrin*

Hi Les,

Dependingon the age of your chassis you may not have the threaded boss on the drivers side. Don't know when it became standard but my 1992 chassis didn't have one but Bruce at Arch very thoughtfully added one when my chassis was re-powdercoated.

My FIA bar uses 7/16" and my roadsport cage (single diagonal) uses 1/2" both have very thin heads as there is limited room above the rear damper, but you probably know this already..... I think you can only get these from Caterham but, of course, you could machine a standard bolt head down to size.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, so I've 'investigated' with the drill, and can confirm I don't have the threaded boss on the driver's side. So my plan is to use two short 7/16 bolts to secure the passenger side, and just use the largest diameter bolt straight through for the driver's side.