Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Boss Spare Wheel Fixing Kit

A7 OOH

I am in the process of retro fitting the spare wheel and carrier to my car, the previous owner ran it without a spare.

I would like to reinstate the spare wheel carrier and need to fit the "boss spare wheel fixing " (Caterham SKU76310) which I have.

The kit comprises the Boss, 2 washers and the fixing nut. My question is where are the two washers located:

#one will goe under the nut once the boss is in position and act against the chassis brace.

#what about the second washer? it does not from any pictures I have seen appear to go under the boss flange acting directley on the rear panel?

# is it sandwiched between the chassis member and inside of the rear panel?

simple if you removed it yourself.

Cheers

Gordon

• Area Representative

I seem to recall that there are washer(s) between the chassis and the alluminium skin. This is to stop the alluminium being deformed when the boss is tightened. I think the number of washers used may depend on the size of the gap as I suspect not all chassis are identical.

Not sure if you have the same set up I have, but on mine there is a long bolt with a bar across the outer end, for tightening, this passes through the "Y" shaped holder into the thread in the rear panel. 

The washers I placed on the thread of the studs which pass through the wheel, with two nuts to pull the wheel into place, and I use a cycle cable type padlock to deter the light fingered type, passed through the wheel and carrier. This mounting arrangement is so you can get to the tonneau studs, without having to remove the spare. 

The above applies to my 1982 car, things change, yours may be different. 

Regards, Nigel.