Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox issue

bspeed

A strange problem on my R400D hydraulic clutch. I am unable to push down the lever to select reverse-rest is fine. Solution is to open up the petal box, disconnect the clutch pedal from the hydraulic cylinder, move the lever around and problem solved. I use the car for the weekend with no problem then leave it over the week and problem has reappeared. Issued has started since I had the hydraulic fluid changed-thoughts*confused*

I think problem/solution found. Probably a classic case of the three things in my original post actually being completed unrelated hence on the wrong track. I have squirted WD40 down the gear lever by pushing the tube betewwen the gaitor and the lever. It is now soooo much easier to push down hence suspect rust or the like making it difficult to push the lever through the nylon bush which sits on the gear box under the tunnel cover. I will not use the car during the week hence will probably know for certain next week.

I cured this on my car by fitting a cut down steering rack gaiter (Rover SD1) over the gear lever base under the leather gaiter. A couple of cable ties to secure it top and bottom, and it should stop dust and water collecting around the spherical joint *smile*

Duncan