Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Paint code Caterham Red

Rob Walker

• Area Representative

Paint codes is one of those areas where the internet really ought to help enormously but I found it doesn't particularly. This may be because of the errors in colour rendering o across screens and photos.

I was searching for a paint code for Tony at TSK, so that my car will be the colour I want. As it happens, the colour I want has several variations (I called in at a dealership and they said that there were at least five (or was it seven) versions). So I have/will opt for the closest colour from the "standard" range of that marque.

Yes agreed . It was the paint code I asked Caterham for and they just said "Powder White" - so helpful. I assume it will be a Ford "Diamond White" or similair and will find out when the colour sensor is used. Why do they have to be so secretive ?

I just chased up caterham parts for 'lotus yellow' and 'BRG' codes.  Response was that they don't use paint codes as such, just paint formulas that are many years old.  If you need a paint match (as I do) then should not a problem as a paint shop / paint factor will get the match from the car.  Doesn't help if you don't have the colour you want to match of course ... 

Hi Rob,

Caterham advised me the code is BS538 (Post Office red).

However, I experienced difficulties getting the correct match for my (standard) red car. I gave the code to a professional paint sprayer but the end result proved to be too "light" ie not such a deep full red and failed to match properly. They tried twice with different suppliers but both were unsucessful. Apparently there are different shades of code BS538. Caterham then advised that it is "not a code as such - more a mix" so I resorted to buying a tin direct from them - expensive and slow (I think it comes from their paint shop and they wait until they have a batch mixed up) but the end result was a perfect match. I agree with other posts though, there must be an off the shelf" paint which would work. Good luck, Simon.