Click here if you are having website access problems ×

S3, Odd front end feel

virden

I was pulling about 85mph on the twisty up hill sections of my favourite private airfield runway 😬 when the front end suddenly felt most odd, it got very much lighter to the touch as if air had got under it, and felt as though the grip was being repeatedly transferred from one side to the other and back again. Once back onto the straight all settled down. I have had a quick look and tug at the tyres and suspension but cannot see anything amiss. Just a freaky moment or should I look deeper? *confused*

Car: 1996 S3 C/F, 20,000 miles, clams, half wishbone kit, std Spax, track day springs and ARB, A021s @ 18psi

• Leadership Team

Suspect a pesky "aeroplane" has dropped some kerosene (similar to diesel 😬), on the runway.

Suggest you drive around for a bit at lower speed and then find a different part of the airfield to get up to speed again *smile* - having checked the tyre pressures.

Reminds me vaguely of a Tour7 first-night rendezvous (run to the hotel) many years back I'm the slight wet. I was totally convinced I'd broken something or punctured a tyre at the rear - handling was very wayward in an unpredictable manner. No front end problems.

I stopped the car for a look see and one of the other tourers did the good etiquette thing and came back down the road for me - he confirmed that there must have been some spillage on the road and with that, we continued on to the hotel at a sensible pace. I guess what foxed me at the time was that it was only the rear that gave me concern - but whichever end has the least grip (or greatest job to do) will show up first and you might not get confirmation from the other end that it is an environmental issue.

I'd still have a good poke/wiggle all round though!