Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upper wishbone mounting nuts loose...

Silverback

Currently experiencing a bit of steering wheel judder at speed so I was looking over the car last night and found that both upper wishbone mounting nuts are finger loose on the threads.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y482/mlarbey/A%20new%20R400%20finds%20a%20happy%20home/98919ABC-4129-4ECC-86A3-F5315CD5B278_zpsksry89gl.jpg

So my questions are:

- could this be a contributing cause to the judder

- should I simply tighten up or is there more tracking adjustment I should do at the same time?

Thanks

Matthew

edited for correct suspension anatomy!

Edited by - Silverback on 7 Aug 2014 22:04:19

Matthew

It is more likely that the judder is causing the nuts to loosen. Wheel judder is more normally due to losing a balance weight or knocking the wheel out of true on a pothole.

Definitely no harm in tightening them up though!

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Steering seems slightly offset as well, so I may take a trip to Northampton motorsport for them to give it a proper alignment...

Will check the wheel balancing at the weekend...visually I don't appear to be missing any but worth checking in any case

Tighten them to make it safe. Check it looks about right. Check tyres for wear. Drive it to see if the judder has gone.

Would you set the tracking yourself or take it somewhere? (Crossed with previous post.)

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 7 Aug 2014 22:08:25

Quoting Grubbster: 
The inner part can't have moved while the ball joint is in place, but this loosening of the lock nut is very common in the race series - we were checking them frequently as they were often loose.

thanks, reassuring to know not just mine

So to close this thread off, before tightening up there appeared to be a small amount of vertical play that could be brought about.

Having tightened them up nicely (can someone tell me why I wouldn't use threadlock if this is something they all do?) I can't seem to feel any of the same vibrations that I was experiencing previously.

Now that might be misperception, coincidence or related but for now I am not getting that same level of speed judder I did previously.