Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brands noise test - club trackday Sept (Sigma 150hp without cat)

SUPERLIGHT91

... anyone know if the Sigma 150 will happily pass a sound check at Brands?

I'm taking my factory car on the club track day Sept2 and wondering if Sigma's generally sail through the sound checks (or likely to need the catalyst refitting to dumb it down a bit?).

I know there's likely to be a bit of variation subject to setup, mileage and to what extent the silence baffles are shot, but would be interested to know the typical sound output on the 1.6 Sigma 150 for piece of mind, before getting turned away on the day.

Is there any chance you could take it over and get it tested one day / evening when there is a track day on? That's probably the safest way.

I'm repacking my silencer (large quiet one) this weekend just in case as I don't want to miss anytime on the BH GP track day.

They were testing last night with 105 db limit.

Told him that i'd had new pistons and rings fitted so couldn't rev it hard for long, which he was quite happy to believe. Made 98db at 5000rpm 1.8 K series though

I maybe there for this event, I don't mind bringing my noise meter along for testing anyone prior to the officials testing you *wink*

They tend to test static at circa 5000rpm *wink*

If your that worried I don't mind testing you before, if you want to drive over to Epsom *wavey*

Thanks yes it would be good to get tested before hand.

I take it you any get one shot at a test with the official on the day? Otherwise I would get them to test it with decat fitted, and if it failed fit the catalyst in 10mins if needed if I take it with me?

If you have a smartphone you can get apps that should give you a reference point. I re-packed mine last night (although it probably didn't need doing looking at what came out and was a pain getting it lined up and back together) and will hopefully be at the Ringlestone next week so we could try my phone app against both cars to compare.

• Area Representative

Complete waste of time using your own or a borrowed noise meter unless you want to use it to compare against the one used by MSV as a relative reading for keeping a check on the drop off in silencer performance over time. Test readings will vary depending on how close the gadget is held to the exhaust exit, angle of incidence to the exit. My Blackbird passed fine last year and I think the levels are the same.

Nick

My car was 96db (if I remember correctly) at Brands for the club track day on the Indy Circuit this year. Having re-packed I'm hoping it will be slightly lower so measuring the 2 cars in the same way using a phone app, knowing what mine was, should give an indication.

However, as we all know, what actually counts is the noise meter on the day...

They are not supposed to tell you where they are but I think one is on the pit wall on the straight and the other on the hill up to Druids. Both places where you are normally on full power. After being black flagged I managed to repack my silencer and was kindly allowed back on track, I started lifting at both those locations and also keeping to the outside of the track.