Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter button and ignition switch

Delberts Wallet

I'm thinking of fitting a starter button but was wondering if there are any implications of completely removing the steering lock and fitting an aircraft style toggle switch (or whaterver you call it *confused*)

If I go this route then I intend on fitting a removable steering wheel, I already have an imobiliser (K series) so would the car be reasonably safe from tealeafs!

Blue and Carbon Supersport T561 LKJ

Go for it, mine has this and it's great fun. An ignition lock is only a minor headache to a tealeaf anyway so it will make no difference since you have the immobiliser.

An added bonus is that you can turn the engine with the ignition off, which is handy for getting the oil to the bearings before starting, especially after an oil change.

I' ve done this too. My thoughts are:

1. Put the starter button on the right rather than the left of the steering wheel. If you fall off a track and stall, you'll want to select a gear with your left hand as your right hand punches the starter button.

2. Already mentioned, but useful... you can turn the engine over without committing to ignition.

3. Ignition switch makes turning off the engine in an emergency easier.

4. Security is not compromised. The standard key barrel is open at the rear for anyone to hotwire anyway. The only security worth its salt is the immob anyway.

5. If you do go for a removable steering wheel, you will need a different upper steering column which doesn't work with the steering lock anyway. A removable steering wheel is good security but only a useful aid for getting in/out of the car if you're truly large (i.e. not me at 5' 6").

I have piccies of my dash if interested. Email me direct.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

I concur - definitely go for it.

Removable steering wheel is cool (although you will get really bored with the comments at the pub such as "where's the rest of your car" and "so it's a 'buy in installments' finance arrangement".

There's plenty of info on this web site about how to do this - I referred to the one "starter button - job's a good 'un" or something like that.

Good luck

Gareth,

If you're in need of a suitable toggle switch and aircraft style guard to replace your key ignition switch I still have a couple for sale from a bunch I bought recently. Everybody seemed to like them and I've heard no complaints so far. e-mail me if you would like one, I have two spare. 😬

Also, FWIW, there is a circuit diagram I've done for wiring-up said switch and "Big Red" here using the data available from the past threads and the Rover K Series Variants, 2001 Onwards (EU2 and EU3) wiring diagram.

Regards

Tony

Waiting for my SV 😬

(Sumo Version?) - 11 weeks to go!

I've received three e-mails with enquiries about a toggle switch and guard.

Chris Moore was first to which I've replied, (no answer yet) with Graham Ridgway in reserve and Bullman third. *smile*

BTW, e-mails via BlatChat often say "Do not reply to this address, use the reply button on Blatchat". As I'm easily confused by such techno-babble, please include an e-mail address with any e-mails - it worked OK with both Mav and Graham, however. Oh well! 😬

Tony

Waiting for my SV 😬

(Sumo Version?) - 11 weeks to go!

Tony C

The URL to your ignition diagram appears to be wrong. Instead of ending "Big Red.gif" it should end "Big%20Red.gif" as the filename has a space in it (but URL's do not have spaces, and the space is encoded to "%20".

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

Tony,

That seems to work.

I was unable to view it as I use netscape and not Internet Exploder. Netscape is stricter in its implementation as a web browser and hence the problem may not have been aparent in anther browser.

Thanks.

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)