Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ah, and so it Begins ?

peewee7

• Area Representative

I collected my pride and joy (1600 K Roadsport)on the 26 October 2002, and duly put 500 miles on it for its first service; Great no problems, service done and I'm on my way. Another 500 miles away at Ramstein Air Base in Germany and I'm home! The trip went well Calais to Metz, all toll road a good steady 70 mph was maintained. Over the past few months I've put another 500 miles on Betty's clock ( rain or shine, used daily for the 12 mile round trip to work) Last week I put Betty up on the ramp at work to have a good look around and spotted a small drop of oil on my Diff *thumbdown* I cleaned off the offending droplet only to find two days later it has returned *mad* Question 1 normal / seek assistance or monitor 🤔 Have now been on festive leave for a few days and fancied a spin, went into the garage and the battery is flat as the local run-way 🙆🏻 would someone please reassure me that I'm not going to be isolated in the land of the Hun with problems around the corner 🤔 ta very much *confused*

pee wee

Pete.

Immobiliser drains the battery over time which is a pain. To get around this I trickle charge and this has IMHO helped keep the battery alive for the last three years I killed the first one in less than a year. The diff I can not comment on but i would take a look at it before it leads to a bigger problem.

I have to say that my car is in storage much of the time so never gets week to week maintenance etc but starts on the button every time when I return and runs like a dream. After four years I really have never had any thing leak, fall off or break. Now I've done it *eek*. I have not had issues with mine but then I do not mess with it often and maybe that's the secret.

Andrew

Is it SUMMER yet? 😬

I started finding oil on the inside of my right rear wheel (Vauxhall 8 valve, LRA Beaulieu edition). It was obviously diff oil from the stink and the fact there's nothing else around it could have been. I took it down to Dartford to have them check if an oil seal or something was no good, but I was assured by Simon that there was no problem This doesn't reassure me much, as it doesn't answer the question why there is no trace of oil on the left end of the axle. Is it possible overfilling might be the cause? It seems to have stopped or slowed lately, which either means the oil level is down to an acceptable level, or there is none left at all (probably not - we are not talking litres here, just enough to show). No sign of oil anywhere on outside of the axle.

Pete,

I'm running the same spec. as you (2001 1.6K Roadsport) and encountered similar problems last year. The oil was a non-issue for me: wiped the diff clean and the oil never reappeared. Keep an eye on it thought...

Battery: I was gutted the first time it went flat, then thought it through and realised I shouldn't have been surprised. Rather than trickle-charge, I simply remove the negative lead if I'm leaving the car for more than a couple of weeks. Sticking it on the charger also helps. Other than that, 18 months and 4,000 miles have seen the car run perfectly *wink*

Enjoy!

Christian

Pete, if in doubt take it to Jaochim Westermann from MOG-Racing, he´s got some very helpfull mechanics and knows a lot about Caterhams. Races them since many years now and is an official Caterham parts retailer:

www.mog-racing.de

Oh, and he always has some cold Hatz-Beer in the fridge for customers... 😬

Maybe it´s just a badly fitted gasket from the back-cover of the Diff.

Marius