Click here if you are having website access problems ×

AP Brake Pad Reccomendations

Gregs79

Hi,

Further to my initial running in of my Caterham, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on brake pads for my car which has the AP 4 pot calipers at the front with an uprated master cylinder and standard rear calipers?

This is something I have done in the past with other vehicles and I have found great results.

I am just wondering if anyone has personal experience on the matter? Should I just stick with the standard ones? I have read good things about the Mintex 1144, but not with the brake setup I have.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Gregs79

I have the 1144 on the front of mine and the more I run the car the better they get. I actually managed to stop as I had always expected to on Sunday where up to that point I always felt I had to plan ahead a few days if I wanted to stop.

Unfortunately I only have the basic caliper set up and not the up rated one.

Hi Gregs

There are loads of post on this subject so may I suggest a search.

It really all depends on what you are going to be using the car for

Some people love one make and swear by X Y or Z whilst others prefer ABC Some are more than content with the standard pad

Cost is another factor. Top end Pagid will cost around £220 for a set of front pads whereas 1144 will be around £65

You need to sort out usage and then depth of pocket first! *wink* *wink*

Nothing can touch the Pagids, they are pricey but also last. Zero fade ever.

Uprated master cyl and AP4's is a great setup. Look at a bias valve as a further upgrade, a necessity for trackwork especially when damp or wet.

J

Edited by - James.S on 4 Jun 2014 11:07:11

I run Pagid RS14 and RS15

Mighty.

Why not speak to John Frieth at performance braking here

If you are going down this road remember to upgrade the brake fluid as well.

I have the standard MC as I like a slightly longer pedal

You may find this of interest

'What bore size master cylinder should I use?

A common question is 'What bore size master cylinder should I use?

In theory, it is possible to determine the correct size of the master cylinder (piston diameter) by calculating pedal ratio, pedal travel and caliper piston diameters but it's often easier to 'suck it and see' by choosing a .750" master cylinder to begin with and working from there.

Many factors will determine the optimum master cylinder size such as weight of the vehicle, tyre diameter, brake pedal length, weight distribution and servo or non- servo assistance. Brake pedal ratio is often the easiest parameter to change. Increasing the pedal length is, in effect, increasing the leverage but the pay-off is less fluid movement for a given pedal travel. If the pedal is 12" long from the fulcrum to the foot pad and the cylinder push rod is 3 inches from the fulcrum then the pedal has a 3 to 1 ratio. Increasing the ratio to say 4 to 1 will give more leverage but with longer pedal travel.

For a clutch the same rules apply to the release fork. A higher ratio will make the clutch action easier but there will be less travel of the release bearing. Determine the distance the release bearing has to travel to fully disengage the clutch (usually about 10mm) and work backwards from there.

A release fork with 2 to 1 ratio will require 20mm travel of the slave cylinder.

Brake hydraulics is really all about fluid movement so, to give you an idea of the effect of changing master cylinder sizes, here's a chart of how much fluid each size master cylinder moves with each l cm travel of the push rod.

You can see that a 1" cylinder will move 2 ½ times more fluid than a .625" cylinder. But the pedal will require 2 ½ times more force to get the same braking performance.

However, the pedal travel will be 2 ½ times less.

Cylinder Piston Diameter Fluid movement for 1cm of piston travel

0.625 ( 5/8”) 1.98cc

0.75 (3/4”) 2.85cc

0.825 (7/8”) 3.45cc

1” 5.06cc