Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bicycle Speedo

Dave York

I'm looking for feedback on the choice for a bicycle speedo for the seven. So far have Identified the Catseye model for its odometer ability, but do not know its speed limitation. Any thoughts?

Whoever said "If it aint broke, Don't fix it."

Just doesn't get the point!

• Area Representative

Hi,

I have got the Sigma 1200 fitted for around £25 IIRC inc postage. Dead easy to fix and calibrate with its two settings for different sized wheels/tyres etc. and maximum speed up to 183mph. I got mine from a place in Congleton who do mail order (contact 01260 297837 or www.cyclestore.co.uk)

Otherwise here's some information on the an old topic as well here and I followed the magnet to disk approach to allow wheels to be transferred without bothering to stick a new magnet on to the next o/s/f wheel to allow the speedo to work.

Cheers

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

I went for the VDO Cytec top of the range jobbie - a bank breaking £20 od IIRC. The reason was that I have "tested" a lesser model to some 430mph and I know some max out at about 100ish so wanted to be sure. Not that I see those speeds very often!! The Cytec (C15 I think it is) also allows for two wheel sizes which can be useful.

Whichever one you choose, fitting is all much of a muchness - I also followed the magnet to disk route and also cut the magnet in half so I have them reasonably balanced (not that there's much weight there to worry about). All that means is you have to set the rolling circumference in the computer to half its actual value.

Have fun!

NN 😳

Lotus @ Herts

Edited by - No Nuts on 1 Jan 2003 09:41:56

I've got a Sigma 800. Works well but is a little slow to 'catch up' when accelerating; there is a few seconds lag before the correct speed is shown.

Speedoes are VERY accurate. I calibrated mine initially by measuring the wheel (just like on a bike) and then verified it with a GPS. Best £15 I ever spent.

My top tip is to use chemical metal not araldite to afix the naked magnet to the wheel.

I have the Sigma BC1200 - this is exactly the same as the 800 , but has cadence mode also ( which is of no use to use ) . You must take a look at the speedo to ensure it reads above 199 KPH . I dont think the panorama one does ?? . Dont bother with a wireless one either - signal doesnt reach .

I Attached a magnet from a B&Q door latch onto each front wheel with chemical metal - and had them ballanced after , then tie wrapped the sensor onto the front caliper . This has worked faultlessly for 3 years *smile*

You going to the autosport show Dave ?? - give me a bell .......

dave

Hi !

I have a Sigma BC 401 fitted in the Caterham. Very simple, only 4 functions but serves it's purpose beautifully. I can mail a couple of photos of the fitment (magnet to disk) for anyone who is interested.

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Classic

(Malta)

my site here

Have a Sigma 1200. Good cos you can reset the odo if the batt dies. Also it can handle 2 different wheel sizes simply by pressing a botton on the back.

It uses nice simple paired wire. Some use horribly thin signal wire which a pain to solder.

Jason and I tested them to very accurate reading on the measure mile.

See his site. goto the Hants (north) and Berkshire site below and navigate from there....

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

I was in Maplins today (Co. business.............honest!) and saw they had a special offer on a wireless cycle computer. Normal cost 19.99; now 9.99. I nearly had one for a 'just-in-case' type moment. I resisted, but must be worth a look at that price. *wink*

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

The Sigma would fit inside a speedo dial but then how to press the buttons?

I have removed my speedo and have an ali disc covered in black fablon in it's place with the Sigma mounted on. The Sigma dock / holder can be chopped down and a counter sunk screw used to retain it flat on to the ali disk.

The speedo, cable and drive weighed nearly 0.5kgs...

/Steve

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

I have a VDO cordless one on my bike and it was a bugger to get working because by German Telecoms law the the transmitter must have a range less that half a meter.

I would be highly surprised if there was a transmitter that would reliably procuce a signal 2.5 meters and still get past the dashboard etc.

Also that would take more power,the transmitter must of cource be separately. The VDO has a battery 2/3 the size of an AAA battery ie tiny and does not last long.

Nick

"Cordless isn't the way to go"

Unless you mount a chromed pair on the clamshells, (in the style of classic running lights), looking down at magnets on the discs, then use magnifying Brooklands screens.

It seemed quite obvious to me *wink*

Mark

☹️ My Caterham Silver Jubilee No. 7 is for sale ☹️

For the SVA I originally fitted the Sigma to the front wheel. Mitcham failed it as they did not have measuring equipment. For the re-test we moved it to the back wheel [cable length was longer to the back].

I was expecting a lot of innaccuracy due to wheel spin but it passed OK!

Racing pics and items for sale here