Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ignition Warning Light Flickers

Coming back from Stoneleigh last night I noticed that the red ignition warning light on the rev counter flickers on and off very slightly.

I thought I noticed the problem a few months ago but was not sure if the flicker was a reflection of the street lighting driving around town. It was only confirmed last night on my return down the dark roads of the Peak District.

The weather was damp but not soaking so I have ruled out ingress of water. I also thought that it was not as noticeable when I took my foot off the accelerator.

The car shows no other problems, it starts well and drives superbly with plenty of power.

I’m just a bit worried that this may indicate a future failure of the alternator or some other serious electrical problem. This is worrying because I’m off to Spain touring at the end of the month so would like to get it sorted.

Does anyone have any suggestions or simple things I could check or replace? I’m a bit reluctant to start any major surgery before my tour as I’m a firm “if it’s not broken, don’t mend it” type.

Didn't read your 2nd post

I'll get me coat

Which Tacho do you have ? I thought I had a similar problem on my Sigma but it was the brake fluid level warning light flicking on and off under hard acceleration, solved with more brake fluid

Edited by - John Hughes on 6 May 2014 12:50:48

Just had another look this morning, it is almost invisible in daylight, but with careful shading it is just visible above 2500 rpm nothing showing below.

Ill check the voltages later.

The tacho is a Caerbont which is 10 y/o it shows no other problems (apart from dodgy illumination)

The voltages showing are:

Engine off 12.6v

Cranking 10.4v

Idle 14.3V

Ditto on the brittle wire - your symptoms seem identical to what happened to me 2 years ago. It only gets worse - once the red light comes on fully, you will have about 1 hour of driving before the battery goes flat enough so that the car no longer runs.

Steve

I agree with the comments on the thin wire that runs from the alternator to the ignition light and from there to various of the instruments The wire from memory is brown with a yellow trace. The heat causes the insulation to fail resulting in the internal copper strands becoming blackened which in turn causes an increase in resistance.

Its a fairly simple if a somewhat laborious process to fit a complete new wire. from the ign light to the alternator.

Remember to disconnect the battery before messing with the alternator connections. You can remove the existing cable and wire in one wire from a warning light with the other end to earth and see if it still happens.

If it does its a diode on the alternator internal rectifier i am afraid in which case its either a repair or replacement.

Thanks folks for your advice, I have spent the morning checking all the connections to the alternator, the condition of the wires looked good externally, but the thin wire from the alternator was slightly loose. I have now attached it securely and on startup the light is no longer flickering *smile*

Thank you all for your help. Once again I praise the power of Blatchat *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Just by chance I saw this thread after seeing the light on my tacho flicker very faintly at night.

I went to check the alternator wiring tonight and have no idea how to get tools in there to loosen or tighten the terminals. I can get a socket on the nut but nothing on the socket to turn it as the engine support is in the way. How do you get in there to check it?

Thanks,

lee

Linky to photo...

Yes it is. Just to show how little space there is. I can get the socket in but then there's not enough room to get something in the socket.