Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electronic speedo

JimmyRocks

I have a 13 year old Roadsport, with five speed gearbox and mechanical speedo.

After several failures, mostly the nasty angle that takes the drive of the gearbox, but also two new speedos, I thought it would be better to upgrade to an electric speedo, but was in ignorance of the resulting difficulties.

I have drive sensor, a Caterham electronic speedo and the 8 pin connector for the speedo.

However there are two wiring diagrams, one from Caterham, and also one from Caerbont (who make the speedo), but the diagrams are different. The speedo doesn't work in either configuration. Caerbont have helpfully suggested swapping the wires around, but with eight of them there are a lot of possible combinations.

Does anyone have any experience of fitting an electrical in place of mechanical speedo?

Fit a push bike speedo.

Magnet glued to wheel rim, tie-wrap sensor to wing stay, run single wire to dash, mount speedo. Job done *thumbup* a lot simpler and much more accurate. You even get so fun functions like maximum speed, a clock, etc.

I sent mine off to Speedy Cables (after the sender on the box packed up) and they converted it to use a electronic sensor off the front wheel.

Maybe ring them up and ask for the diagram showing connections. They were v helpful. I can check mine tomorrow evening if you can wait,

Steve

Edited by - stevethemook on 29 Apr 2014 00:09:20

I'lll check tonight as few years since did mine. Actually the Racetech branded unit (identical 8 pin) but works great off a front hub optical proxy which is what you appear to want to do. It replaced the VDO mechancial one that failed after a bit of Curborough Grass Tracking did for the gearbox angle drive 😬