Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Brake Pads

Steve Causey

Second question this morning! Time to change the rear pads on my 2005 Academy car with standard Caterham rear calipers. I think I have to unbolt the caliper from the alloy 'ear' but do I also need to disconnect the brake line meaning that I would then have to bleed the brakes or is there enough 'give' to be able to leave the pipe connected?

Thanks

Steve

I managed without disconnecting the rigid brake line. It can be a bit delicate though as the fear of brake fluid rushing out can put you off.

You can leave the caliper carrier attached to the ear and the brake line attached to the caliper. The caliper does have to come off the carrier though and you have to wind the pistons back in. There is just about enough give in the solid brake lines (silly idea on a floating caliper) to be able to do the work without having to disconnect them.

Here is Myles' useful guide:

http://www.alcester-racing-sevens.com/rear_brake_pads.htm

I think it is, and I've done the swap, even thought I no longer use floating rear calipers. If nothing, it'll make pad changes a bit easier. i went for the ready-made lines from Caterham/Redline for about £34 to save a bit of messing around. Fitting them is very simple, but just the messiness of brake fluid and bleeding to deal with, the usual with changing brake lines.