Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What should I tinker with next?

TomB

My car, a 1.4 K SS is running fine. It is waxoiled & clean. I dont think there is anything wrong with it.

This is great, but I am getting itchy fingers. I need to fiddle with it & take something apart.

I need some suggestions as to what would be worthwhile fiddling with. I was wondering about taking off the inlet manifold for something to do & giving it a clean. Otherwise it will be TV until the evenings are nice enough to go out in it again. *thumbup* *thumbup*

Clean the engine bay and wash the underside of the car. But perhaps you have Waxoiled the undersides anyway ? Remove the back wheels and clean under the arches and round the fuel tank and diff area, you can then check that everything looks okay under there. In particular check the De-dion tube for cracks. A bit of Waxoil on the visable parts of the Ali tank wouldn't go amiss either. I was surprised how much mine had coroded when I removed it. It now has much more Waxoil on it.

A few cheap tiffly sort of jobs to consider are;

1/ Fit a proper tax disc holder on the windsreen stanction if you don't have one (James whiting)

2/ Replace the wooden boot floor with an ali one that is nicely sealed.

3/ For safety reasons , if your car doesn't have a piece if nice dense foam padding on the underside of the scuttle on the sharp corner where it protrudes into the footwell, then fit some.

It might save a broken leg in case of an accident.

4/ Check Antifreeze.

5/ Change A frame bushes

6/ Spanner check all safety related components

7/ If you have leather seats why not give them a polish with some 'hide food' which will extend their life. Available from any riding tackle dealer or leather shop.

8/ Perhaps fit a small hand held fire extinguisher in the car.

9/ Check Brake pad wear. (easy to do)

10/ If you feel you must play with the inlet manifold, at least check that the air filter is clean

11/ Check all water hoses for cracks

12/ check lights

13/ Look at condition of throttle cable

Also start car periodiaccly and run until its warm, obviously not doing it in the garage.

Thanks for your suggestions. Not so keen on the xflow idea though! I was wondering about doing a dry run of the 12k service to kill an evening or 3?

Anyway, its christmas soon, so I will be able to stay in the warn & read The Magnificent Se7en listening to my shiny new stereo. *cool* *smile*

To be fair, I checked Blatchat when I got up at 0630 (via checking whether I had been paid on my e-bank (fantastic invention electronic banking, anyway i digress)). At 0720 I was on my way to Salford in the 7 cos it was the last day of term at work & we were able to bring toys in.

Tinsel round the roll bar makes for even stranger looks than normal!!

😬 😬