Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rover spares

evotell

For touring away from home I've got a little spares box with all sorts of goodies in it including a fuel injector and most of the engine sensors and actuators including a coil pack (all sourced cheap from eBay, I keep my eye out for bargains and grab them when I can). There's also an assortment of nuts, nylocs and washers in common sizes. Spare bulbs and fuses. Exhaust bobbins. Couple of wheel nuts (OK, maybe a bit over the top). Cable ties, electrical tape. Assorted hose clips. A tiny tube of threadlock (if I feel like doing a pucker repair!) and tube of superglue (if I need to bodge anything!). Can't really think what else as I'm in the office but if I see anything obvious in there that I've missed I'll update.

I've also made up a little toolkit as there's not much point having the bits and not being able to fit them. Just a zip bag with the tools loose in it to save space. Fits in the jack bag (I removed the wheelbrace as I've got a ratchet and a 19mm socket in there already). A few common metric and imperial spanners and sockets, a screwdriver plus an assortment of swappable ends, pliers, wire cutters.

Oh one other thing I thought of, I've collected so much information and documentation on the computer that would be helpful if I did need to do running repairs abroad so I copied the whole lot onto a memory stick; probably easier to to find someone who has a computer to read it than someone who has all the Rover technical data to hand.

If the cam belt fails, you won't be able to fix it just by fitting a new one!

You can fix it (and your life) by mobile phone though...

Last time that happened to me on tour (in France), I solved it by buying another seven by text message as I was being given a lift back home to the uk. Best decision I'd made in a long time as I now have two sevens and a partner (first seven was single-seat - met my partner by dint of suddenly having a passenger seat for the next tour) 😬