Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Intermittent Speedo / Odo - Roadsport 175 SV

Garry7

I disconnected the LED rear brake light and went for a drive (~25 miles).

Initially the speedo behaved but as the car warmed up I had the usual flicking when indicating and dropping to zero when braking. At higher speeds the flicking was maybe 2 mph of movement, at lower speeds the flicking would be ~10mph of movement. Likewise with dropping to zero when braking, more noticeable and quicker when going slow.

I had a check of the earth connections again and I can't see how they could be any cleaner or better.

I think it is a case of trying a different speedo.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting AndrewB: 
I went for a blat this morning over towards Rivington. On the way their I experienced light drizzle. The wipers worked for a dozen times or so then on the next flick of the switch the fuse popped. Is this likely to be related to the speedo still not working (Works okish for ~13 miles, flicks with indicators, dies with brakes), or is it just a bit of coincidence?

When I got back and checked the wiring diagram I saw a note that the brake lights needed a resistor. The note said something like A) Half Mated with 68 ohm (or something) resister. Could it be I am missing the resistor? Where would it be. Having added an LED brake light should I have put a resistor in that leg? The brake lights do work and seem bright.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi Andrew -- I'm no autoelectrician, but looking at my wiring diagram, I think the resistors you mention are part of the speedo and tacho set-up. I don't think they have any bearing on the rear lights.

JV

FIXED

James at Caterham sent me a fix to try which involved cutting the earth cable from the sensor plug and making a new earth connection to the chassis locally to the sender plug.

I did this on friday and after nearly 350 miles over two days I can confirm it has worked a treat. No more dropping out, the distance to my mums was spot on and no more blown fuses.

It worked for me but I suggest you speak to Caterham if you have a similar issue as it may or may not be the fix you need. More detail and pictures on the blog.

here

• 1 month later...
  • Leadership Team

Update:

Having had the new sensor on for couple of weeks the speedo started to fluctuate wildly again with occasional drops to zero - failed to record mileage during the fluctuating phase.

It went into CC for the mod (as described by Andrew above) this morning - so far the signs are good - rock steady needle that is with 3-5 mph of the satnav. Will report back when it's got a few more miles under its belt.

Quoting Garry7: 
Update:

Having had the new sensor on for couple of weeks the speedo started to fluctuate wildly again with occasional drops to zero - failed to record mileage during the fluctuating phase.

It went into CC for the mod (as described by Andrew above) this morning - so far the signs are good - rock steady needle that is with 3-5 mph of the satnav. Will report back when it's got a few more miles under its belt.

Good news. If you're looking for a little gentle w/e activity, it's possible to achieve a high degree of speedo accuracy (especially the trip) by tweaking the 6-digit programming code.

JV

Quoting Garry7: 
Update:

Garry, can you BM me details of what you did as this is next on my list of things to tackle.

Thanks.

• Leadership Team

I cheated and made CC fix it 😬

It's subject of a workshop update (CC for a recall if pushed!) so I asked them to do it.

James did e mail me the update notice, if you BM me an email address I'll send it to you.

Garry

Garry,

You have BM from me. My speedo has been showing early signs of what you describe. Speedo seems to work fine but with a wobble on the needle every now and then. However I did 30 miles less according to my 7 on the run down to Le Mans, compared to the guys I was travelling with.

Mark

• Leadership Team

Hopefully everyone that asked for a copy now has it (if not, let me know).

Gave mine a proper test on Saturday, including a "spirited" run with a Bentley and a 911, at last, the needle stayed steady throughout, even a higher speed.

Hoping this is the fix to a problem that's been annoying me for ages and spoiling the enjoyment of the car.