Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T - Tin top "Eco" tyres

CageyH

I'm after some 205/50/R17 93W XL tyres for my 320D Touring.

I have been looking at the new "fuel efficient" offerings from Dunlop (BluResponse). Goodyear (Efficient Grip Performance) and Pirelli (Cinturato P7 Blue).

Does anybody have any experience of these at all?

I currently run Continental SportContact 5's which are great tyres, but they just don't last very long. My main use is commuting and long journeys, so I am not after anything sporty, but a tyre with good grip and long(er) life. If fuel efficiency is also better, then it's a bonus.

Can you go to 225/45R17s for a wider choice of tyre and/or lower cost? The factory tyre size for my car is the same as yours, but it's quite common practice to go to 225/45s, the size of which I'm also running Continental Sport Contact 5s.

Ok - they will fit and are approved/homologated. I'll need to check the width of my wheels to see if they will accommodate a 225 safely. I'll look at putting these on the back this time, and changing the fronts when they wear.

I changed to Goodyear Efficient Grip 15,000 miles ago on the front of a Golf TDi. The average fuel consumption hasn't changed appreciably (I monitor it closely and if it has improved by 1mpg it's possibly down to a loosening engine at 60,000 miles as much as tyres). However, on 2 occasions I've had the sidewalls punctured by potholes which has only happened once before in my driving history. That would negate any improvement in fuel efficiency! Driving-wise, I can never tell the difference with tyres anyway... it's a tintop.

One minor snag if I fit 225 tyres. I am not allowed to fit snow chains, so staying with 205's works out cheaper in the long run.

I have gone with the Goodyear efficient grip "performance" and taken out the puncture warranty, at €4 per tyre. The roads over here are reasonably good, so I hope not to get any punctures or exploding sidewalls.