Click here if you are having website access problems ×

TAMIYA Caterham Super Seven JPE Master's Coachwork 1/12 ***New***

Dave Rothwell

Just noticed one on Ebay if anyone is still looking for this rare kit - I already have one but when I was looking got quoted over £300 bu the local model shop - eventually got mine shipped in from Hong Kong for about £190 but that was over ten years ago.

link

Tamiya Seven 1/12 kit

Just noticed there's a SPA centre mirror on there as well

daveR

Edited by - Dave Rothwell on 30 Jan 2014 13:58:35

I'm looking for one of these to complete my Tamiya 7 collection, as I have the other two BDR models, but not the JPE yet. I will keep an eye on this one. Does anyone have a built one up for grabs? with or without box, as this one is still in kit form which would nice to keep like it.

• 2 weeks later...
Yep I was hoping to buy it for about £250 - as its the only Tamiya 7 I dont have but its 'too rich for my blood'! Tamiya stuff is very collectable if left NIB (new in box) when it goes out of production. If you have one and havent built it yet, I suggest you dont and double your money in 10 years time :)

They are cheaper (much) in Japan, (equiv. to about £125 last time I checked and several model shops have them on sale, as they're selling off the last of them by now as they've not been in the annual Tamiya catalogue for a few years now) - its just quite a big kit to transport, and buying new from dealers on ebay in Japan, have their mark-up, shipping and import duty to pay on them - that can add £100 quite easily. On the other hand if you fancy loading up a container of them and sending them back to Blighty while you are out there please do *wink* It was a shame they didn't continue with them, do an R500 K-series and Duratec car, as the JPE Swindon engined car is obviously a bit long in the tooth now, and wouldn't have taken much to make model. I do understand the BDR models they did as that is a classic that really caught the Japanese imagination, and most of the original HPC/BDR real sevens are probably onw in Japan or on their way there shortly.

PS I'll take 2x JPE's (as I like one to build and another to keep NiB for posterity, and have done this with quite a few Tamiya models in the past) - I'm a 70s/80s child and have a lot of their early R/C cars in their boxes (like my dad did with his Hornby and Dinky before me), including the very first Tamiya radio controlled model the 1977 Porsche 934 New in Box as a collectors piece of the future - I had to import that from Spain in 2002 as noone appeared to buy and not build it here in the UK.

*arrowup* Now that is an investment *thumbup*. I have a couple of the R/C models in boxes and also spare parts/body shells new in boxes (Brat, Sand scorcher...) Some of the older Tamiya model kits go for crazy money. The small scale Tamiya Lotus seven is hitting £35 now and you used to be able to get them around £8 a pop.

I have a school chum who lives in Tokyo (married a Japanese girl) and I wonder if I could ask him to trawl shops to get a big order of out-of-stock models to ship back... *idea* *smile*

Ivaan - that sounds like a plan, I would look into it if I were you too, excellent opportunity for you.

Wile7 - glad to here you have some nice old Tamiya (my first r/c model was the Brat when I was 8 - I still have it today). Keep it tucked away as it is and you'll be pleasantly surprised in 20 years time.

Tamiya have a habbit of re-issuing popular models every few years (for example, they re-released the Brat around 2007) - but the original issue ones are always subtly different, and the early box and build manuals art won't be repeated.

As for the 1:12 Caterham models they make: its hard to tell if they will re-release them, its possible not. I can't see them making a Duratec 500, 620r or Aero7, but you never know.

This would make the best bulk buy yet if we could get someone in Japan to post/ bring back some of these. They obviously aren't likely to be remade, so if the last ones are in the shops in Japan, its now or never. I'd be interested in whatever was available, again, probably two. One for a case, one NIB. Like Superlight91, I have quite a few Tamiya rc cars, and a lot of Tamiya boxes on display in my model building room. I bought these on ebay years ago and could pick them up local for generally around a £1. Never going to make you rich but they are £20 now. They just look good with the completed car stood in front of them.

Exactly Ed

Tamiya 'box-art' work used to look like the perfect painting on the JPE box (many of the original box designs are cult pictures in themselves, I would love an original, but that's not going to happen they are all at the Tamiya Museum in Japan). These days they boxes are more 'photoshop enhanced' photos of the model and not as good as the 70s, 80s art work. I notice the 1:12 BDR (flared wing) kit box is just a photo the real car on which its based, (which is a bit disappointing) whereas the "BDR Cycle Fender Special" and "JPE" is a perfect work of art, that make lovely posters in themselves.

Edited by - SUPERLIGHT91 on 12 Feb 2014 14:32:29